Answered

Play:5 1st gen reboots and/or freezes every few minutes

• 16 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +2

About two weeks ago a Play 5 I had in a stereo pair setup with another Play 5 started to occasionally disconnect or just freeze so I had to pull the power plug. This behavior has now started to get worse and worse to a point where it happens every 3 to 5 minutes now where before it was only perhaps once a day. It is usually a self reboot of the device, then the second time it fully freezes. Ethernet ports stop blinking the device stops doing anything. 

So things I tried:

=============

I disabled wireless and tried Ethernet only, then the other way around

Switched places with the other Play 5

Changed the Line-in source from one device to the other and vice versa

Changed ethernet cables

Switched from direct router port to powerline adapter where the other play 5 was connected

Tried DHCP and fixed IP on the router

Release the stereo pair and used the Play 5 standalone

Tried just grouping with the other Play 5

Put it into another room to another ethernet port 

Full factory reset and putting it back into the system

Whatever combination I try it just reboots or freezes after a few minutes while the other Play 5 works just fine.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 17 January 2023, 00:28

View original

2 replies

The next time you get it ‘working’, submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution, including if there is a hardware issue. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Likely, this is hardware failure.