Skip to main content
Question

play 3 and sonos app - just horrible. help pls.

• 2 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Had a play 3 for years. It was amazing, almost magical. The app worked great, sound and song selection from my buttons/lockscreen - and it worked flawlessly. Always. Now I’m so frustrated I’ve created an account to vent. For the last several years Sonos is almost unusable. More so w the latest app. Like a minute or two to change an Apple Music et al playlist. Want to change the volume? 10-20 seconds before the app finds the Sonos, connects, figures out what song is playing, then allows me to change volume. Every time. Not just the latest Sonos app, the last two iterations for sure. 
the only thing is the sound - it’s really good. If I switch to play 5 I think I get Bluetooth and AirPlay - does this mean I never have to use the useless app? Instantaneous controls like every other f’ing speaker out there? 
fyi it’s not a network issue. I move the play 3 everywhere and it doesn’t matter. Nor do I have an issue with any other device. Ever. 

apologies for the long rant, just fed up and Sonos needs to get their sh*t sorted. lol this forum can’t even auto capitalize the first letter of a sentence in most cases.  Leaving as is because - f it more frustration. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Waynerules1unique 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m sorry to hear that you have been having problems with your Sonos system for years. Given that the new app has changed so much, it is puzzling that you have had the same issues for so long.

the only thing is the sound - it’s really good. If I switch to play 5 I think I get Bluetooth and AirPlay - does this mean I never have to use the useless app? Instantaneous controls like every other f’ing speaker out there?

Play:5 is discontinued, and Sonos Five does support AirPlay, but not Bluetooth. If you want both on a sizable speaker, I recommend Era 300.

fyi it’s not a network issue. I move the play 3 everywhere and it doesn’t matter. Nor do I have an issue with any other device. Ever.

I am inclined to disagree. Sonos uses your local network in a way that is not typical for most devices - they all want to talk to one another, and to the app, on a near-constant basis. Most devices do not do this, so it doesn’t necessarily follow that your network is ideally configured for Sonos because your other devices work well.

apologies for the long rant, just fed up and Sonos needs to get their sh*t sorted.

No problem at all - I will not deny your right to rant!

lol this forum can’t even auto capitalize the first letter of a sentence in most cases.  Leaving as is because - f it more frustration. 

Honestly, that has far more to do with the device you are typing on than the website you are visiting.

Given how long you have been suffering these issues, I highly recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.