Skip to main content
Question

Play 1 : can't restart

• 3 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi, 

I am losing the will to live! We updated internet to Virgin got a new router and when we tried to connect we encountered problems with one of the speakers.

In the meantime the app has been upgraded. 

I have two Play One (The one that isn't working is the oldest circa 2014/2015 ish)

We've tried -

- unplugging, pressing play and plugging back in. The light flashes white, flashes oranges and then just keeps flashing organge and doesn't turn to green and so we cant even get to chime. 

​​​​- Plugging ethernet cable in still no joy. 

I've  contacted Sonos support (45 + minute wait) and then a 40 minute call back for a technician to tell me to do the same and that I'd need to buy another Sonos!!! 

The other speaker is working fine btw. 

Is this Sonos shutting us out due to age of speaker which was working perfectly until this point? 

Seems weird that the new version 2018/19 is working fine.. 

Any ideas, guidance greatly appreciated

Nat (dreaming of Bose) 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I would be amazed if you did need a new speaker and think it’s far more likely to be related to the App update.

Have you switched to Virgin since the App update?  Do you connect by WiFi?  Try adding it with a cable connected directly to the router.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’d try another Ethernet just to be sure as the flashing orange is showing a failure to connect. You are hooking it to your main router hub?

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-led-lights

Not normally recommended but a factory reset of just the bad speaker might get you past any app glitches that are blocking you.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/reset-your-sonos-product

Userlevel 1

I had exactly the same issue and found I could resolve it by going through the factory reset process with the first speaker connected to the router by ethernet cable, then unplugging that speaker and replacing it with the speaker with which I’ve been having the permanent white/orange light issue - for whatever reason the Play 1 speakers seem to now be able to factory reset only when connected to the router by ethernet.