Skip to main content
Question

Play:1 can’t connect to wifi after password change

• 5 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I changed my WiFi password and now I can’t connect my play:1 to WiFi anymore. 

The Sonos app can’t set the WiFi password because that is not supported for this model (what???) I can connect it by cable but that is not what I want.

The Sonos s1 app can’t connect to it because it says the system is S2. It tells me to downgrade but that option is unavailable in the Sonos app.

I’m stuck!

4 replies

You should be able to connect it temporarily with the Ethernet cable. That will allow the new network information to be communicated with the system running on the PLAY:1, after which you can then disconnect the Ethernet cable, and run the speaker wirelessly again, with your new network information transferred. 

No luck! As soon as I disconnect the cable the Sonos app prompts me the use the “flow” for updating my network settings, and then it fails because this flow is not supported for a Play:1

Here’s more information. You either wire or factory reset. The reason why is Sonos released an unfinished bug riddled POS app that can only change wifi settings with BLE. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-ca/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

Wiring didn’t work (see previous reply), and after a factory reset the system was still on S2. With the help of some other threads I discovered that my old iPad was not compatible with the latest Sonos app (80.0). Therefore I could still downgrade my system to S1 from there. Tragic way to have to fix it and a day of my life I’m not getting back :’-)