Answered

Pairing

• 16 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi, I have a Beam & 2 new Fives, all work fine separately and the fives work as a pair fine, but when I group them with the Beam they don't seem to sync up correctly 🤷 any ideas?
Update, it seems to be fine when I group them when playing Spotify just when I group them to watch the TV there's an issue.

icon

Best answer by ratty 16 December 2023, 12:48

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Hi .  You should not be grouping them.  You need to add the Fives as surrounds to the Beam.

You will probably then want to choose FULL audio rather than AMBIENT for music listening, in the Beam’s settings.

Note: my response assumes that the Fives are being used in the same physical room as the Beam.

When grouped with the Beam the Fives will be slightly delayed when playing TV audio. They’ll play in sync for other, music sources. 

You could always bond the Fives with the Beam as surround speakers. They’d then always stay in sync.

How does one set them up as surround speakers?  When I try it only gives me the option to pair with my ones. 

How does one set them up as surround speakers?  When I try it only gives me the option to pair with my ones. 

Separate the stereo pair:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/separate-a-stereo-pair

Then add as surrounds:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-surround-speakers-to-a-sonos-home-theater

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos has a bunch of tricky words.

Pair - Hook two very similar speakers together in a stereo pair.

Bond - Hook an AV Sonos to surrounds and a Sub, or a speaker or stereo pair to a Sub.

Group - Connect Rooms together to play audio in sync, or TV sound with a slight delay.

Pair and Bond make a single Sonos room out of all the included speakers.

Grouping connects the Sonos Rooms together.

Thanks, only trouble now is that it's saying if I set them up as surround speakers I can't use the line in which I have hooked up to play my records 🤦

That is correct.  When connected as surrounds the speakers are just “slaves” of the Beam.  

Let’s take a step back here.  Do you want multichannel  surround sound for your TV watching?  Where are the Fives positioned in relation to the Beam?  Why do you want the Fives to play exactly the same audio as the Beam when you are watching TV?