Skip to main content
Answered

outdoor projector & Sonos 5

• 7 December 2022
  • 3 replies

I am looking to get an outdoor projector and be able to get the sound through a Sonos five. What is the best way to do this? I do know the fives are not waterproof. If anyone can also recommend a good brand/model of projector that works well. So many options.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

I can’t recommend a projector, but some things to think about.

• The Five is not designed to work with a TV or projector.  Audio from the RCA inputs is slightly delayed/buffered for whole home audio and will not be in sync with the video.  Some are not bothered by it, but something to consider.
  • Are you intending to wire the audio to your Five or expecting to send the audio wirelessly?  If the latter, you’ll need another Sonos device (Port, Amp, Five, or soundbar) to wire to, which can then group with the Five.  Again, audio will be delayed.
  • As far as the projector goes, I think much depends on whether you plan to permanently mount the projector or portable, and whether you intend to use during the daylight or in darkness.  You’ll need a brighter bulb (lumens) with more background light or the image will wash out.
Badge

Danny,

Thanks for the response. All good things to think about before i choose. Sounds like i may need an Arc or Beam possibly. Projector would be portable and probably use some during day but mostly at night so I will probably need high lumins. 

If you use ARC or BEAM, the projector will need to provide a HDMI-ARC or HDMI-eARC connection. Currently, this is not a given. Some projectors will have an analog audio output or an optical output that can be converted for use by ARC or BEAM with a “dongle”. With the FIVE, you would need to derive an analog audio signal from the projector or source. The projector might provide this directly or you may need a “box”.

BEAM and ARC do not exhibit the audio delay mentioned above.