Answered

One SL turns off after 1 hour

Badge

not sure if I’m posting in the right section ……

Please help. I have a R7350 Nighthawk system with download speed 411.12 Mbps & upload 22.13 Mbps. I have (2) Sonos one SL. The problem is after playing for an hour the music stops. The light on the top of the speaker is white. I have made about 10 calls when submitting diagnostic code. At first I was told to contact my network provider . Changed channel setting still no difference. All speakers show on my network & are on 2.4 GHZ. speakers are about 15-20 feet from router open floor plan. Not to sure what to do at this point. Any assistance would be appreciated. Extremely frustrating when you call and it like they are reading off the same que card. The latest was told to delete everything and reinstall ...yup same result….Please help!!

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 9 February 2023, 10:13

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

26 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

What’s your music source?

Badge

doesn’t matter what I select ..most of the time its the XM app

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Can you start some music and then select the Now Playing screen within the Sonos App.  Now select the 3 horizontal dots and check that Sleep Timer is shown as off.

Userlevel 7

Does your router have an option for Airtime Fairness? Potentially turn that off if it does.

Badge

Timer is off 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Thekideo 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I don’t see any immediately obvious causes of the issues you report, though all three speakers are reporting PHY Errors on their WiFi interfaces, meaning that they are all receiving 2.4GHz data which they don’t recognise as genuine WiFi.

I recommend a read of Reducing wireless interference help page, and looking for sources of interference near your speakers. CCTV cameras, baby monitors, microwave ovens, smart meters and other devices using radio can all cause problems. Keep any of these devices at least 1m away from any Sonos units, and from your router.

If you put your Sonos system onto the “NETGEAR84-5G” network, you may see better results. Settings » System » Network » Manage Networks » Update Networks and follow the on-screen prompts. From the Manage Networks page, you can remove the 2.4GHz credentials once the 5GHz ones have been added. Be sure to do this to ensure Sonos uses the 5GHz network. If you have trouble doing this, please temporarily connect any one speaker to the router with an ethernet cable and wait one minute - you will then be able to remove the credentials. Remove the cable afterwards.

If you haven’t done so already, I recommend switching your router off for at least 30 seconds. Doing so regularly (a few times a year) can keep issues down to a minimum.

One final option that may help is to keep one speaker permanently connected via ethernet - this will result in a private WiFi being created by it, just for other Sonos devices to use. It’s currently configured to use channel 1, which looks to be a good choice. Be sure to place it at least 1m away from the router.

I hope this helps.

Originally posted on your duplicate post, which has now been closed.

Badge

good morning

Badge

good morning,

I was told by Sonos to remove from 5g from the beginning . Now on 2.4 & was also advise to put to channel 11. This problem only happen when I paired the living room speakers. I will now change to channel 1

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Thekideo 

This is why I say “may”, “might” and “can” a lot - it all depends on individual circumstances particular to your environment and equipment.

Channel 1 does look marginally cleaner than channel 11, but not by much - I am not convinced there will be a difference, but fingers crossed!

As you know 5GHz won’t help, and a channel change may (probably) not help, perhaps connecting one speaker via ethernet would be the best thing to try - I’d keep WiFi on channel 6 or 11 if you do though, otherwise you’ll need to change Sonos’ channel. If you don’t want a speaker that close to the router, that’s understandable, but it will serve as a good test - if there’s a worthy improvement, you could wire a Boost to the router instead. As this comes at a cost, please don’t do so without testing with a wired speaker first.

One final point - many of the logs I see only go back 20 minutes, others go further. The playback errors I see happened hours before the diagnostic was submitted, so it’s possible I’m not seeing the entire story if there's something happening to the electromagnetic environment - or on the network - periodically, that coincides with the error. Please recreate the issue and immediately submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number when convenient. Thanks.

I hope this helps.

Badge

ok. I usually send report when I get home but will try this weekend & send as soon as it cuts off. I also just check Device manager.  From my phone at work it shows all my WIFI devices everything has full signal but sonos has full signal but not listed

Badge

Badge

This time it played for a few hours then stopped

Badge

??

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Thekideo, thanks for sending over those diagnostics.

I’ve have a look over them in place of @Corry P and there’s more information we can glean with these diagnostics. Both diagnostics are showing lost AP (access point) error messages, sync error messages, and interestingly a corrupt file transport error message from SiriusXM. 

Lost AP and sync error messages can cause dropouts when listening to music. However transport errors can cause the system to do the following:

• Fail to start playback of a track or radio station.
  • Stop in the middle of a track (and failed to play the rest of the track(s) in the queue.)
  • Stop playing at the end of the track (and failed to play the rest of the track(s) in the queue.)
  • Display 'unable to play' in the Sonos App.

One thing that hasn’t been discussed, is what exactly happens when the speaker stops playing music. Does it cut out in the middle of a track or does the track finish and not play anything after? The transport errors make me think a specific track on SiriusXM is causing this, but it’s possible the transport error is an effect of interference rather than the cause of the issue.

The errors in the two diagnostics point towards network connectivity issues. If what was discussed in this thread already hasn’t helped, such as: changing Wi-Fi channels, reducing wireless interference, removing the 2.4Ghz credentials, or rebooting the router, then as @Corry P suggested, I would recommend a test of wiring a speaker to the router to check if the issue still occurs? If this resolves the error, then I’d suggest keeping the speaker wired or using a Sonos Boost.

I hope this helps!

Badge

HI,

WIFI  channel has been changed to (1). Router was rebooted . Do you want me to changed to the 5G? I previously had on 5G will same response. Pretty sure it just stops in middle of song, but I will confirm next time. If I  wire (1) speaker does the remaining speakers connect to the wired network  even if they are connected to WIFI? When I check my Nighthawk, in devise manager everything has full signal. If you think Boost would solve the problem I will order today. Thanks again

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Thekideo,

When you wire a speaker to the network, the system will change to SonosNet, a dedicated Sonos mesh network. Your system will work like a mesh wireless system, using the speakers as nodes to connect back to the router. This helps prevent the system picking up on signals not intended for it and can prevent dropouts. 

I wouldn’t recommend buying the Boost without testing a wired speaker first. This is a test and there’s a chance that it wont fix the issue.

We’d recommend testing for double the length of the issue occurring, for example if the issue occurs every 2 hours, you’ll want to test for 4 hours. If the issue is intermittent, just use the system as you normally would and if the dropouts stop, that’s when we’d recommend purchasing a Sonos Boost.

Badge

OK I’ll try tonight. Do I have to reconfigure the speakers? 

No, the system will notice and start using the wired connection without supervision. Give the system a couple minutes to work through the details, then start testing.

Badge

so now wired speaker is hooked up but I didn’t see WM change? trying to confirm its running with wire and not wifi?

Badge

after hooking wired speaker would the Wm:0 should change to WM:1 ?

WiFi is WM:1, SonosNet is WM:0. MOVE and ROAM will always be WM:1.

Badge

Update:  My case has been escalated to level 2 support. After many channel changing on the router I’m  now on 6 & 11 I believe . I also have one speaker wired into the router to make a Sonosnet mesh system. Not to sure what is next ?? #1223747685

Badge

Not sure how you ask for level 2 support and they say they're closed 🫣. Last time I spoke they told me to send a diagnostic report... Still waiting for some feedback.. extremely frustrating

Note that the About My System display is static. You must go back, then re-display in order to view the current status.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Thekideo,

Our recommendation for wiring a speaker was to test if you were having the same issue on a wired connection, where the One SL stops playing without your input.

However, if you’ve been escalated to level 2 support, then there isn’t any additional help the community can provide. Level 1 support (livechat, emails, or calling into our support team) have access to more tools than we do, with level 2 support having higher access than them, so it seems you’ve exhausted the support the community moderators and users can provide.

For level 2 support, they’ll be in touch with you since your case was escalated and placed into their queue. Keep an eye out for an email from them with further information as they’ll want to discuss this issue with you.

To help anyone in the future with a similar issue to you, it would be greatly appreciated if you were to reply to this thread with the results of your discussion with level 2 support and the resolution to fixing this issue once you resolve it with them.