Answered

one group keeps dropping

• 16 February 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +1

Been having this problem a few weeks now. Whenever listening to music the living room zone drops out intermittently. Does it for 10-15 seconds and then will hop back for 10-30 min before doing it again. 

ive got a very large system and have had Sonos for probably a decade. I’m also not very technical so getting into router stuff is a challenge for me. 

I have a diagnostic here. 304281759

I have a boost that I’ve been using forever. It’s right by the play bar that keeps dropping. Should I try to kill the boost and plug Ethernet into the Soundbar as a start? 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 21 February 2023, 10:28

View original

7 replies

While you wait for a forum moderator to have time to pick up that diagnostic, I have a couple of suggestions, one of which may work, depending on what the cause of your dropping is. 

First, read through the wifi interference FAQ. It’s always possible that something inside your house, or even outside your house, has changed the level of interference being received by your Sonos speakers/

Second, try a network refresh. Unplug all your Sonos devices, including the BOOST, and reboot your router. Wait a couple of minutes for the router to finish rebooting before plugging back in your Sonos devices (start with the BOOST). Wait a couple of minutes for the Sonos to reboot, then test, and see if it’s still happening. 

Normally, after running a diagnostic, it’s best if you were to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it, since the forum moderators have other duties, and aren’t always able to respond as quickly as someone who works in Sonos Support can, on the phone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hareball 

Thanks for your post!

It looks like the best thing you can do is to separate your Boost and Playbar so they’re at least 1m apart, though if you were to wire the Playbar to ethernet instead of the Boost, you wouldn’t really need the Boost at all.

If you do wire the Playbar to ethernet, I recommend disbanding the current group and selecting the Playbar. Then, group the other speakers to it. This will put the wired Playbar in charge of the group, which will make the whole group perform at their best.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Corry, Could you put in a suggestion to the developers that Sonos look at a Group when it is configured and instead of setting the first selected Sonos as the Coordinator selecting the first Ethernet wired one.

Maybe go a bit further and pick the wireless one with the best connection if none are wired?

Not likely to happen soon but it would be nice to have the next developer that digs into the Group coding see the suggestion.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Stanley_4 

I can’t, but you sure can - just create a new topic and I’ll tag it as a feature request.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Will do.  

I guess (not to pollute your other thread), wouldn’t it be somewhat random, based on the variability of the network environment, if using the radio? I get if there’s one or more wired device, forcing that to be a coordinator. It’s just the concept of figuring it out, continuously, while on a radio, that’s liable to be challenging. Is there even available CPU on older devices to do this while playing music? Although a ‘only do this when you start playback’ would probably be good enough?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Either at start playback or just when hitting the Done button on group creation would work.