Answered

OFDM ANI level help

• 23 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi

I know there are a lot of threads on this, so apologies is this is repeated anywhere, but I am struggling to maintain good connections for any length of time.  I do have a tricky house to manage (L shaped) and I have BT wifi disks to get decent Wifi coverage throughout.

Current set up:

BT smart hub 2, so I can’t split and rename channels

A play 1 hard wired to my router in my study and all other devices connected to the sonosnet - I have chosen channel 11 as my router still has some 2.4hz devices on channel 6

I have two sets of stereo pairs.

I have two main issues:

1. When checking the matrix, I’m seeing a 9 on the Ethernet connected Play 1 - What I don’t understand is it gets worse in the evening.  For example at 3pm when I was working in the study, the level was a 5.  Now it is a 9, and I’m not in the room, so my laptop is interferring less than it would have been.  why is it now a 9?
  1. We often find one of the stereo pairs drop out and needs a reboot.  It doesn’t help that these pairs are the furthest from the router and also the ones we group together, but even so, they will work fine and then (again, especially in the evening) they fail

I’m trying sonosnet as I stuggled to get pure wiifi to work reliably.  It will work fine for a few days and the fail.  Very annoying and I’m not sure of the best options

Any advice, gratefully received

thanks in advance

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 24 January 2024, 06:00

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Did you try this:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/improve-your-sonos-products-wifi-connection

If you did and it didn’t help, wait for the problem and capture a diagnostic, then call Sonos Support to have it looked at.

I and others have found adding static/reserved IP addresses for your Sonos can help, see your router’s DHCP settings page for that.

RF noise and WiFi activity can vary over time for so many different reasons you can’t often pin it down unless you can find and unplug/disable a problem device.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thanks Stanley.

I have tried a few of the tips on that page, but since I’m trying a wired set up, many of them don’t apply to the player in this case.

I did have one question regarding the sonosnet channel - I can use 1, 6 or 11 - I’m currently using 11.  Is it worth changing the router to be 1, to keep them far apart.  The router is currently using 6

Also, I have the player on the left side of the window ledge next the wall and the other players would be to the left of the player, on the same level or above.  I’ve seen plaster and brick are not great when it comes to interference,  Is it worth moving the player to the other side of the window? The walls would be on the right and no players are futher to the right

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

1, 6 and 11 are all far enough apart they do not impact each other.

Far more important is what other WiFi systems are using. I found that if I tried all three for Sonos use and picked the best the router was happy with the second cleanest channel.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

quick update

I moved the player from one side of the window sill to the other, so it is now further away from the wall.

As of yesterday, this seemed to reduce the interference in the study dramatically, so fingers crossed.

We’ll see how it goes