Not giving up yet!

• 1 December 2022
  • 8 replies

First of all, thanks for the help that I received on here the other day.  Really appreciated it.  Also, a big hats-off to SONOS help desk the other day who resolved my biggest issue.

Now, here is a thought; I have my old Play 5 working through the S1 app, and the rest of my system going through the S2 app.  I have a turntable that I use RCA cables to go into my Connect (which is S2 compatible).  Now I used to use this to play through the house including my Play 5 on the original S1 app until I upgraded to S2 due to now having a Roam SL.  To now make my turntable play through the house, I have to Bluetooth it to the Roam and play through the house.  Not the end of the World at all, but it renders the 5 all but redundant.

But I’d quite like to keep using my 5 as perhaps a line-in speaker for the turntable.  So I thought I’d buy a cable that was the RCA to 3.5mm type and put it through the output of the Connect and then into the back of the 5 as a line-in.  But this hasn’t worked.  Do you think it is just the settings I have wrong, or will the Connect not send the output from the turntable (which comes into the Connect via the RCA input) out to the 5 just as a line in product?  That way I can use the Roam elsewhere in the house or garden and keep the 5 as an external speaker only.

Thoughts?  Can it be done?

8 replies

CONNECT will not automatically patch its Line-In to Line-Out, but you can certainly select CONNECT’s Line-In to play through Line-Out.

If it is physically convenient, you could use a Y-Cable to connect the turntable’s preamp output to both PLAY:5 and CONNECT. Note that it would strictly be an accident if the sound is well synchronized between S1 and S2. If it is not possible to simultaneously hear the S1 and S2 systems, you don’t need to worry about synchronization.

Odd, but it should ‘work’. Double check that the cable is connected to an analog out on the CONNECT, and that the output is set to fixed, not variable. 

Double check that the cables are fully seated at both ends. 

Finally, try adjusting the line in settings on the S1 PLAY:5.

Neither the CONNECT not the PLAY:5 have any idea what is at the other end of the cables. They are merely sending/receiving analog data. 

How do I check the output is set to fixed, not variable?

How do I check the output is set to fixed, not variable?

Settings > System > (Room Name) > Line-Out Levels

I am not totally confident that I have fully understood what you aare seeking to do, but is the Play:5 still connected to your network as your S1 system?  If so then I would suggest you set up Autoplay on the P:5 while it is still on your network, then remove it from the network by deleting the WiFi credentials.

Apologies if this is off the point.

HA!!!  SUCCESS!!!

So, by hooking up the Play 5 with an RCA to 3.5mm cable from my Connect, the Play 5 can be used as a speaker on the new S2 app!  There is a SLIGHT delay in the music coming from it (its about 1 sec behind I’d suggest) but at least it means my Play 5 is not redundant, and I can then use my new Roam elsewhere!  

Again, thank you to everyone on here who has contributed to helping an old fuddy-duddy overcome his inadequacies with technology!

I would question whether the Play:5 is genuinely on the S2 app. If it were really so then you would be able to synch the P:5 with your other speakers. 

But it is great that you have achieved what you wanted.

Should have been clearer. The Connect is on the S2 app, and I’m using the Play 5 as a speaker from the Connect, so when I’m playing music through the S2 app, when I select the Connect, the music comes out of the Play 5. I can’t control the Play 5 from the S2 app.