Skip to main content
Question

new sonos speakers

• 14 July 2024
  • 3 replies

I am considering buying a portable sonos speaker. Looking on the Sonos web site I can review and place an order but am I correct that I will also need to purchase a router? There is no reference to needing one etc.

3 replies

Do you have wifi where you live? If so you can connect the speaker to that. The move and roam also can be used as Bluetooth speakers without wifi. 

You will need WiFi in order to fully configure the units. Once configured, you can use the portables with Bluetooth only. I have no experience with this brand new ROAM 2 feature, but supposedly they can be used out of the box on Bluetooth.

Most home WiFi will work fine. Business WiFi and condo provided central WiFi may introduce some considerations. Get back to us if this is your situation.

Thanks. I have good quality WiFi so I download the Sonos app and use that to set up the speaker to WiFi and manage/play music. I used to have an early couple of Sonos S1 speakers that needed a router, plus the app. Hence my question of needing a router.