Answered

New Router, app unable to find Sonos Play 5

Hi.

I’ve used Sonos Play 5 for many years on two different routers, and there haven’t been any hitches I couldn’t resolve.

Now I have a new Zyxel 1661 Wifi 6 router, and for the life of me I can not get the mobile app to find Sonos. I’ve tried everything I can think of. I’ve plugged Sonos to the router for possible updates. I’ve reset the app. I’ve rebooted all the things and followed every instruction, (turn on Bluetooth etc) and still nothing. The NFC can see Sonos, but the app just cannot.

I’m no techie, but I think it’s fair to assume that the router hides Sonos from the app(?) even though the phone is integrated with it. Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

icon

Best answer by ratty 31 May 2022, 12:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Which generation of Play:5? The gen2 could sometimes blow its wireless card. If in doubt it would be worth rechecking against the previous router. 

When you Ethernet the Play:5 to the router, can the Sonos app see it? 

Is the router set for mixed WiFi operation at 2.4GHz (b/g/n/ax)?

Which generation of Play:5? The gen2 could sometimes blow its wireless card. If in doubt it would be worth rechecking against the previous router.

Thanks for responding. I have gen2, but think it’s fair to assume that since this happened when I changed routers, that’s where the problem lies. It’s incredibly improbable that the card blew at the exact same time, though not impossible I guess.

I’ll try your suggestion with the Ethernet, and also look into those router settings if that fails. I’ll get back to you. Thank you.

EDIT: I tested the Ethernet and it worked. Not even a setup or anything, just bam straight in. So now I have to turn my attention to the Wifi. I’ll try and get that done ASAP: