Answered

New router, 2 x play 3 and 1 x playbar don't work

• 14 December 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi all.

Hopefully someone who has been through this can help. BT router needed to be replaced so have a new SSID/password.

Since then neither of the play 3s nor the playbar have worked wirelessly via the Sonos App.

I managed to get 1 play3 working when hardwired but could not then get the other speakers connected. As soon as the cable was removed, it stopped working.

The playbar works when connect to TV via optical, but no wireless streaming.

I’ve been through the set up process multiple times, factory reset all speakers, followed the steps in the app etc. but I’ve got nowhere.

I’m not unfamiliar to the world of tech but this has got me borderline raging. Can anyone help me? Where am I going wrong with all of this.

I feel like the best thing would be for the system to be completely removed from my account, for the speakers to be factory reset and for it all to be done fresh. Is this possible?

Ta

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 14 December 2023, 12:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

The challenge is, of course, that you’ve factory reset the speakers, and consequently erased any log files that might have helped Sonos figure out what was going on.

At this point, my guess will be that the frequency/channel being used by your new router doesn’t match what Sonos needs, as explained in the Sonos Network Requirements FAQ. But there’s not quite enough information in your post to be certain. 

If these PLAY:3s are assigned as surround speakers to the PLAYBAR, you wouldn’t normally be able to set them up with an Ethernet cable, by the nature of the connection of the two devices, the Ethernet connection must be made in the parent device, the PLAYBAR, rather than the child device, either of the PLAY:3s. The PLAYBAR would then become the source of both a SonosNet signal, as well as the5Ghz connection used by bonded surround speakers.

Can you confirm what sort of signal is being used by your new router, and whether or not you’ve tried connecting your PLAYBAR to the router with an Ethernet cable? And are the PLAY:3s in use as surround speakers, or are/were they set up in a separate room….this may be a moot question if you’ve already factory reset them. 

If it’s not obvious, please don’t do any further factory resets unless instructed to. 

Have you called Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Thanks for the reply.

The reset was done out of complete frustration at the situation.

They are using 2.5GHz @ channel 11 (exactly the same as the previous set up).

The devices were not paired / set up as a surround system.

I’ve tried connecting the soundbar, it did not work at all. I ended up in a continous loop of finding / adding products to the system.

I’ve not tried support yet - last experience with a faulty speaker wasn’t great.

Does any of that help?

*2.4GHz

Not wildly, I’m afraid. Hopefully it’s a 2.4Ghz channel, though. It’s interesting that the PLAY:3s were not originally set up as surrounds. Unless they are in a fault condition with their wifi system, they should have been setting up a SonosNet signal, which the other speakers would connect to…although rarely they do require a minute or two to recognize, or even a reboot. And, when the PLAYBAR was wired, it should have done the same thing. That all being said, there have been reports about issues with BT devices on this forum before. 

However, at this point, I do think Sonos support is called for. 

Ok, thanks. Will give them a try.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

For anyone reading this later: most routers will allow you to change the wifi settings, so a new router does not necessarily mean a new SSID/password. You can change the wifi credentials on the new router to those of the old one - any connected devices will probably not even notice the change.