Answered

Network/Wifi requirements for multiple S1 speakers

• 20 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Hi all,

I’ve been using an S1 Amp for a decade, it’s still going strong, but I’ve recently moved and have a lot more space where I live - having multiple speakers is now something I’m keen to do.

But: my new place is large, and I have a vague memory that the speakers might need to talk via their own wifi network with each other, rather than using my home’s wifi network. If this is the case, I suspect I’m going to have a problem because brick walls and wifi aren’t good friends - I’ve had to put in multiple access points, but if S1 speakers don’t use the existing network, I might be out of luck with this plan.

For what it’s worth: the room where the Amp is has an S1 Bridge with an ethernet connection to the rest of the network, but adding more Bridges in other rooms isn’t an option.

So: do S1 speakers need to talk to each other directly (via their own mesh wifi), or can they communicate entirely through an existing wifi network?

icon

Best answer by ratty 20 September 2023, 11:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Dump the Bridge. Connect your system to your WiFi.

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/remove-a-bridge-from-your-sonos-system

Just coming back to this - Ratty’s answer set me on the right track, but it was a bit ambiguous.

So, for anyone else who’s wondering: S1 speakers (and in my case, the Connect Amp) can indeed use an existing wifi network (rather than their own). With the link Ratty provided, I was able to switch my amp over to use my home’s wifi network - and I’ve since bought a second-hand Play 5 which worked straight away in this setup as well.