Answered

Low volume/performance on one Play 5 while other one is loud in a stereo pair

• 12 January 2023
  • 8 replies

I have 2 play 5 Gen1 paired with sub Gen3 in a stereo pair (Vertical orientation). I have ran 20+ iterations of Trueplay from Ipad and Iphone and i continue to notice that the volume on right speaker is way lower than left one. This makes left one loud enough, so music seems to generate from left side of the room all the time. Its more prevalent when i sit close to the speakers.

Also the left one is loud, on the face vocals with high treble, right one sounds highly recessed, muffled.

Does anyone faced a similar issue and can advise how to resolve? any help much appreciated

FYI. 

• Speakers are placed on a speaker stand with no blockages
  • Walls are 5 ft apart sideways from both speakers 
  • All components connect wirelessly via BOOST, so don’t have any issues with connection/dropouts or lag 
  • Ran multiple Trueplay to check
  • Turning off Truplay, bring back all the life to right Play 5, so speaker aint faulty.
icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 January 2023, 11:09

View original

8 replies

Sounds like a possible Trueplay issue, maybe try pairing the ‘Fives’ the other way around and see if that works. If so, then swap their physical location. If not, then maybe the next Sonos update will fix the matter and just leave TP disabled until the update has been put in place.

You could also try a factory reset of each speaker, but if doing that, I would do just one at a time and setup the speaker in the system again, before then resetting the other, so that you have continuity and do not lose your system settings, which are stored on the speakers,

Sounds like a possible Trueplay issue, maybe try pairing the ‘Fives’ the other way around and see if that works. If so, then swap their physical location. If not, then maybe the next Sonos update will fix the matter and just leave TP disabled until the update has been put in place.

You could also try a factory reset of each speaker, but if doing that, I would do just one at a time and setup the speaker in the system again, before then resetting the other, so that you have continuity and do not lose your system settings, which are stored on the speakers,

Thank you Ken for great advise. I did all that but only reset each speaker did the trick. ran trueplay again. Both speakers are now balanced, well seperated and the only diffrence in volume is the track/recording itself. Setup got a new life. 

But i am still wondering what wrong did I or TP did that i had to live with this issue for several months, thinking may be its because of room geometry and TP tuning the best way as it should.

I don’t believe you did anything wrong, just a gremlin creeping in, I suspect.. and one of those glitches that can happen with anything from time to time. C’est la vie. 

Anyhow glad to hear you manage to sort things.👍

Badge

chiming in. it's a true play issue that a recent software update broke in the last two months or so. i'm having the same issue. i've retuned many times, factory reset, switched the speakers around, the left Five is always louder.. even without true play. when you use trueplay, the left gets the tuning and even more volume while the right gets no more volume and sounds muffled. Sonos often says they have never heard of this, on occasion they will acknowledge it is a problem.  currently building my own case with support for this same problem. 

I have the same issue

If they don’t fix it very soon, then it will be good by Sonos. 

Have you submitted a diagnostic, and contacted Sonos support, so that they have evidence to provide to the engineers? 

There is no need to submit diagnostics. Sonos are aware of the problem. I just don’t know if they want to fix it since they don’t recognize it publicly

Deleted as no longer relevant