Low end is gone after 75 volume on Five.

• 17 November 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hey guys.

Bought a single Five for my living room recently and noticed a strange issue that after 75 volume the bass is gone. I can physically feel it, sound becomes very thin. 

Is it a bug? Maybe new update brought some issues?

I wasn’t able to test it before the update and I would appreciate any tips.

I must also add that it happens with TP on or off. My HT setup with Beam 2 + Ones + Sub 3 is not affected.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mutiny 

Thanks for your post!

Does the bass come back when you reduce the volume again, or is the change permanent? If it is permanent, it may be a blown woofer - please get in touch with our technical support team to look into your replacement options. You should be able to hear a “whoomph” sound on heavy bass if it is a blown woofer.

If the bass comes back when you reduce the volume, I would recommend a reboot of the speaker - please unplug from power for 10 seconds or so. If that doesn’t help, please try a factory reset of the speaker - but only once. If you still see this behaviour afterwards, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thank you @Corry P !

Low end is back when volume goes down.

I already contacted customer care and they told me there is an internal limiter in the speaker to prevent it from being damaged. Still I don’t understand the point of a powerful speaker if I can’t use its power. I measured around 85 dB on 75 volume which is loud of course, but not THAT loud.

I did unplug the speaker - didn’t help. I didn’t do factory reset however. 

Thank you for your time and response, really appreciate it.

Maybe I can send a diagnostic report just to be sure that the speaker isn’t faulty?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mutiny 

The limiter did occur to me too, but I didn’t think it would happen just because you went above 75% - though in a way, you should be glad it did, as it will be preventing permanent damage to the speaker.

Have you only tested with one particular song or genre? Perhaps if you play something else (less bass-y) you might see different results?

I’m with you, however - you should be able to go to 100% without fear of damage, and without hitting the limiter (my point above is that some tracks may be recorded louder and thus pushing the speaker more than it should be pushed).

Feel free to submit a support diagnostic after recreating the issue and reply here with the number given - if the speaker is being limited by the software, there will be a corresponding entry in the speaker’s logs (though I presume this is what they checked when you called in). If this is what is happening, a factory reset would not help. If I can confirm that it’s the limiter, I will consult with a (more informed) colleague to see why it’s happening at 75%.

Badge

Hi @Mutiny 

The limiter did occur to me too, but I didn’t think it would happen just because you went above 75% - though in a way, you should be glad it did, as it will be preventing permanent damage to the speaker.

Have you only tested with one particular song or genre? Perhaps if you play something else (less bass-y) you might see different results?

I’m with you, however - you should be able to go to 100% without fear of damage, and without hitting the limiter (my point above is that some tracks may be recorded louder and thus pushing the speaker more than it should be pushed).

Feel free to submit a support diagnostic after recreating the issue and reply here with the number given - if the speaker is being limited by the software, there will be a corresponding entry in the speaker’s logs (though I presume this is what they checked when you called in). If this is what is happening, a factory reset would not help. If I can confirm that it’s the limiter, I will consult with a (more informed) colleague to see why it’s happening at 75%.

Thank you so much for doing this! @Corry P 

Different genres from rock to hip hop - always the same thing. The bass and midrange is very good at or below 75, after that it starts to fade. At 90 the sound is so thin it becomes a bit harsh and as i mentioned before i can physically feel that low end is no more given that the Five has an amazing bass capabilities.

Here is the diagnostics - 758517177

This is at 90 volume.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Mutiny 

Thanks!

So I had a look through the diagnostics and can see no reports of the limiter being engaged (or anything else that could be related). As a result, I’d like you to now attempt a factory reset of your Five, please. You shouldn’t have any trouble setting it up afterwards, but if you do, please try adding it to the system while it’s wired to ethernet - once setup is complete, you can disconnect the cable.

I spoke to an engineer about the issue you’re seeing, and he mentioned that you should be able to push the Five (and any other All-in-One Sonos speaker) all the way to 100% volume without any changes to the EQ being heard - we were unable to reproduce this issue with our own equipment, so it does seem that it’s something to do with this unit in particular. If a factory reset does not fix the issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team to look into replacement options - please reference this thread to whomever you speak to, as that will probably reduce the amount of troubleshooting needing done.

I hope this helps.

Badge

Thank you @Corry P for the amazing support!

I did a factory reset and unfortunately the issue persists.

Going for replacement with my local retailer, we’ll see how it goes.

All the best!