Skip to main content
Answered

Lost connection with devices

• 12 June 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello, 

This is a question that many Sonos users ask and it is true that resetting the router makes it work again. But it is not normal, that absolutely everything works perfectly, including three streaming services, but nevertheless Sonos fails. This is getting worse. I have to reset the router every fifteen days. I thought that with the new software it would fix it, but no. Even worse. At least you could indicate where the problem is, to see if there was something that could be done in the router configuration. Thank you.

3 replies

Unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t have the ability to control your router. They are merely a client to it, accepting whatever the router hands to them.

You may benefit, if you’re resetting the router that often, by reserving IP addresses for your network in the router’s software. Check the router’s manual to see how to do that. This will help avoid getting duplicate IP addresses from the router by your devices, something streaming music, including Sonos, is quite sensitive to. And it’s just good network management. 

Unfortunately, each router manufacturer tends to handle this process slightly differently, and there is no method for a client to set up reserved IP addresses (to my knowledge), it requires setup by a human. 

Thank you for quick answer. 

I will put all the Sonos devices with fixed IP. But I’m almost sure is not the problem, when Sonos App fails, it does not find even a single device:

And this is my Sonos system:

• Arc
  • One
  • One SL
  • Sub (3 gen)
  • Sonos move (1 gen)

I have a reasonable WIFI 6 Mesh system based on three Asus ZenWifi XD6 with a hard wired connection, with which I obtain at 5 GHz a transfer speed of 600 megabits per second. 

Following one of the support articles I can confirm Enable IGMP Snooping is enabled. 

It’s possible that it isn’t the answer, which is why I used the word ‘may’. But it certainly wouldn’t hurt anything, and might help something show up, especially if you hardwire one of those speakers to your Asus router, and submit a system diagnostic , and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.