Skip to main content

latency, static IP addressing and Linux-based controller (AppImage)

• 19 April 2023
  • 2 replies

• Sound Latency issue, I need some help.
    I am trying to use my Sonos 5 as the center channel of my old & trusty Sherwood 5.1 receiver/amp, the Sonos input is connected to the Sherwood’s center channel line-level out via the 1/8” Sonos jack for input (of course not the headset out jack) appropriately connected and selected in the SONOS app.  When playing content via the Sherwood (god I love that thing @ 15 years old using the SPdiF fiber connection) unfortunately even though the Sonos is jacked in to the Sherwood’s  center channel via 1/8” audio plug cable, I am getting detectable latency of audio between L&R channels out of my side speakers and the SONOS center channel.  It’s barely detectable but is just enough to be off-putting, perhaps .5 second delay between the side speakers and the center SONOS channel.  Sounds like the audio is in a big empty room or concert hall with lots of reverb.  I have reverted to my old trusty Logitech PC speakers for the center channel, no delay detected. 
  • Regarding manual IP addressing versus DHCP Reservations I have read several posts complaining about the lack of a locally configurable IP address stack = DHCP-only.
    I run Linux on my daily driver laptop and found the SONOS controller AppImage download http://pascalopitz.github.io/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/
    and under the Developer menu, there is an option for setting the local IP address manually.  I am afraid to muck up my perfectly running SONOS 5 networked via Ethernet and a DHCP reservation but if anybody else is curious, does that feature work?
  •  

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

There is a 75ms latency between Line-In and output from a player. You’ll need to insert delays in the Sherwood’s power amplifier feeds.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’m not going to dig through the documentation on the controller again, pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux but I’m pretty sure you have misread it.

The IP setting in the controller is to point to one of your Sonos devices instead of using the normal discovery process, not for setting the IP address your Sonos is using. That would require he have access to Sonos internals that is not available to users.

Set your Sonos IPv4 addresses using DHCP (4) and you should be fine. I have not had a need to try and manually assign IPv6 addresses using Router Advertisements or DHCP (6) so I can’t comment beyond that.

That controller is quite handy, I ran it on several systems that Sonos doesn’t support  with excellent results