Answered

LAN connection - Undetected speakers

• 17 September 2023
  • 3 replies

I have 5x Sonos Generation 1 (Play 5 & Play 3) and 2 Generation 2 play 5’s. That makes 7 - out of the 7 speakers, 5 are directly connected by LAN cables - the two that are wifi connected are the generation 2 play5’s - in the last week, my entire system is not detected, and I had rebooted my router, reinstalled the sonos app, and reset all 7 speakers one by one. a week later ( yesterday) my entire system has disappeared again. My question is - why is this happening - and why is buying and still using the 1st generation so difficult - it is an investment, each speaker - and when a new version comes up, the app does not support the old. How can a LAN connected speaker not be detected? This is very very frustrating and it says to me, that I cannot depend on Sonos to take care of me when I have been a loyal customer. Who can I turn to for troubleshooting?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 17 September 2023, 14:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

You would really need to describe your network setup in a little more detail, before suggestions can be made. Here are some things that might help the community to understand your issues.

• Make/model of router?
  • Other WiFi access points?
  • Wifi channels in use/Channel-width?
  • If your System(s) are running on S1, S2 or both?
  • If using SonosNet and how many devices wired and where to (distance of wired device from nearest AP)?
  • If using SonosNet - if you have chosen to retain the WiFi credentials on your devices?
  • Details of primary controller device used (operating system version)?
  • Music services used (local and/or remote)
  • Average ISP download/upload speed? 
  • Anything else you think might be relevant/helpful, like ‘managed’ switch settings etc?

It would also be helpful to know what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far (eg, changing network cables etc?)

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

This is very very frustrating and it says to me, that I cannot depend on Sonos to take care of me when I have been a loyal customer. Who can I turn to for troubleshooting?

You say the above, but did not mention what Sonos Support failed to do for you when you contacted them.

What did the Sonos Support folks fail to do for you that has brought you here to the Sonos User community?

My bet is duplicate IP addresses, just to ignore the whole ‘why can’t I buy equipment that is out of date’ canard.