Answered

Interesting behavior, but only when including the Play:3

• 2 October 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Long time Sonos user. I have a one-bedroom apartment with a Playbar, Sonos One (gen 1), Play:3 and Roam. A nice ASUS new’ish router. Great wifi and internet. 

For a while now, anytime I include the Play:3 in the group (or only play to the Play:3), the system lags a lot. Examples:

1. When I re-open a controller after a few minutes of not using it, it takes 30-60 seconds to show what’s playing. 
  2. Whenever I hit pause/next or anything else, it takes a few seconds to do it, and 50% of the time throws an error message. 
  3. For about 25% of the songs, the first ~20 seconds show a playing but no sound comes out.

On the contrary, whenever I do NOT include the Play:3, everything works beautifully and is super snappy. Do you think my Play:3 has just reached the end of its useful life? Or is there something else I can do to troubleshoot?

I’ve tried calling Sonos support multiple times but didn’t make any progress on it. 

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 2 October 2023, 08:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Assuming that you’re not currently using SonosNet, have you tried changing the routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to see if that makes any difference? If not, I suggest trying a non-overlapping channel 1, 6, or 11 and if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only for that band, reboot your speakers and see if that resolves the issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi @Ken_Griffiths thanks for the quick response. I think I’m using SonosNet because my Playbar is wired and I can see the SonosNet Channel option in my mobile app. 

Yes when I called Sonos support before, they had me change my router channel settings to 20 MHz and from Auto to 1. And my Sonos app SonosNet channel is set to 11. Rebooted and all that already, no change. 

Router settings:

My thought is that the PLAY:3 is struggling with its connection. This could be an issue with its wireless card. As a test, wire the PLAY:3 to the network. Or, there could be a new source of severe WiFi interference near the PLAY:3.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I had a Play 3 that was horrible, moved it a few feet and it was fine.

I put it back and started checking the stuff near it for the source of the problem. Took me a while to get to my WD hard disc. Inever considered it as it had no radio, but moving it a couple feet “fixed” my Play 3.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

@Stanley_4 for the win! Even though my Play:3 was not far away from the rest of my system, it sat on a marble kitchen counter and I think it being surrounded by marble on two sides (back and bottom) caused a low connection. 

I moved it to a different location on another table, almost the same distance, and early testing shows it working much better. 

Thank you to all who contributed!

Andrew