Answered

Impossible to downgrade Play:5 (gen 2)

• 1 July 2023
  • 1 reply

I have a mix of old and new Sonos components in my house running S1: 2xPlay:5 (gen2), a Play:5 (gen 1), Connect:Amp and a few more.

It happened twice that our kids or their friends see the Sonos prompt to upgrade to S2, and initiate the process without asking. They maybe think they're doing us a favor.

The first time we managed to downgrade all devices to S1. The second time not. One of the Play:5 gen 2 speakers refuses to downgrade.

I’m using the S2 app and follow all the instructions (reset/reinstall S2 app, reset speaker, etc.). The app finds the speaker and eventually starts the downgrade process. It shows a downgrading progress bar for about 3 minutes and then finally a message that it was unable to downgrade the speaker.
No details about the error.

I’ve tried this multiple times, with ethernet and wifi connection, I added the speaker to S2 and then completely removed and reset it. I read other threads on the same topic, but no solution found.

I probably spent three whole days in my life struggling with this S1/S2 incompatibility. I’m a software engineer and I’m pretty good at these things. Sonos managed to create a system where it’s super easy to upgrade, but very hard or impossible to downgrade. Their policy is extremely consumer unfriendly - it’s too bad because they have some really good products.

Any help appreciated.

Haavard

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 3 July 2023, 14:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @haavard, welcome to the Sonos Community!

I’ve had a look into your products and can see that both your Play:5 Gen 2 speakers are running the S1 software. Did you change anything to facilitate this or did another attempt resolve this?

I would recommend next time, or if you’re still having issues with your system, that you to reach out to our support team as they have access to internal diagnostics capabilities to look into your system and see any errors or issues that you may not.

I hope this helps!