IKEA Symfonisk with Apple Airplay disconnects and then speaker unavailable

• 25 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi,

When I connect to my IKEA Symfonisk speaker via Airplay from my MacBook Air it only works for a few seconds (maybe minutes). After that the sound switches over to the computer’s internal speakers and the Symfonisk is totally “broken”. Can’t reconnect to it in anyway. The phone app also stopped working. The only thing I can do is to unplug the power and restart. If I try again, I get the same problem…

I did find some old post with a similar problem description. There they discussed wifi channel interference/problems - really? How could a product like this (totally wifi dependent) be this sensitive to something like that. 

/Anders

7 replies

I have dual ASUS RT-AX92U routers configured in a mesh. In the router’s AiMesh configuration it is possible to bind a client device to a specific mesh node. This seems to greatly improve the situation. As far as I could see the speaker always connected to the best/closest node, but still with this binding the connection is much more stable. Note that this does NOT remove the problem. It just takes much longer before it disconnects.

In case anyone wonders:

1. Just using the sonos app on my iPhone works fine
  2. Airplaying to any other device in any other room (connected to either mesh node) works just fine
  3. We have good quality wifi everywhere (with that mesh solution)
  4. With the Symfonisk wired with ethernet cable, airplay works
  5. It is only precisely one thing that doesn’t work: Using airplay (from phone or computer) over wifi, to the IKEA Symfonisk

If that “one thing” doesn’t work this device is useless to me.

I’m curious as to what Sonos Support said, when you called them?

I’ve only chatted with them (only alternative available the last couple of days) but they have seen diagnostics I’ve submitted and asked me to try various things. In the end they were not able to help.

In the logs they could see things like “you have no wifi connection” or “now it’s connected to a different mesh node”. As far as I can conclude they see symptoms but not the root cause of the problems.

Hello - I’m wondering whether you found a solution to this issue.  I have two Symfonisk speakers behaving similarly.  I am using an Eero mesh network in my home.  I’ve reset the speakers and reconnected them to the Sonos system with no change. 

As you describe - they work via the app, but after 5 seconds or so of silence using AirPlay, they disconnect and my phone becomes the source again.  Other Sonos branded speakers in my house work as expected.

I may dig deeper into the mesh network settings, but am curious to hear from you first.

***EDIT:  30 minutes after my initial tests and with no further changes, both speakers are currently working via AirPlay. 

Thank you - 

Tony

I did get a second round of support from Sonos. Got a lot of suggestions on things to try, but they didn’t solve the problem.

In the end I did a hard factory reset of my 2 x ASUS RT-AX92U routers, and that solved the problem. It is working now, but unfortunately I don’t know exactly what the problem was.

Thank you for replying.  I’ll keep that in mind if the issue resurfaces.  Your method of troubleshooting told me you’d be a good resource to have in my pocket...and then my issue resolved!

Cheers!