Skip to main content
Question

I reset my sonos move, and it is requiring me to update before setting up. but it will not update.

My sonos move was working fine connecting to bluetooth and playing music, but i wanted to connect it to wifi and use the sonos app with it, which it was refusing to do. So i reset the sonos move. (i suspect wifi  connection wasn’t working because i live at a new house different from where I set it up). 

Anyhow, I did a reset of the move to see if this would help. Now it needs to be set up again.

The application now is able to identify my sonos move, but says i need to update the sonos move in order to finish setting it up and use it. 

So I accept, and I wait for it to update. But the update is taking very long, so long that the move eventually stats flashing red. Am I supposed to keep waiting for it to finish after this red light happens or no? if it ever will finish updating, I am not sure. I can wait longer I suppose but it is taking a very long time. And the move shouldn’t be broken, the bluetooth was working perfectly fine before i reset the device.

12 replies

Userlevel 2

Same here with the Move. This has been going on since the new update. Constantly a reset and try to add Move to APP. Still failing. Every time we used it , it’s a half hour of trying to find it, and then update My Network or Update the Move . Bring back the old APP until Sonos figures out the bugs in the new APP.

not satisfied 

so were you able to use your move since this happened? and if so, how? try to update the move using the old app, or am I just screwed until sonos can fix it or rolls out a new update that works?

Userlevel 2

It will work with Bluetooth to play, but the APP is absolutely garbage. This has been going on for a month. Wish they would just bring back the old APP

mine wont even work with bluetooth now, because it needs an update in order to be set up since I did a factory reset, and the update won’t work. So I have a non broken product that I can’t use because the update on the sonos app doesn’t work

Having the same.issue with a brand new Move 2. Can't use blue tooth because its not registered, can’t register it, because the update fails with a 30 error about ¼ way through… expensive paper weight

Userlevel 2

Not happy esp with Summer here. They have updated the APP a few time so they have failed a few times. 

Did you ever manage to resolve this? I am having the same issue with my new Move. Tells me it needs an update before I can add it to the system but the update never completes and I am stuck on a flashing red light

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Install the desktop Windows or Mac version of the Sonos app, and try updating your system from there. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads

Thanks, I did try this but won’t work for me as the Move is new so it is not in the system, so the desktop version things system is up to date

Install the desktop Windows or Mac version of the Sonos app, and try updating your system from there. 

https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/downloads

I’m trying to do this now, but having issues. I downloaded the sonos App onto my macbookOS, but for some reason when I click “connect to existing system” it won’t find my move. It is because I need to set up an entirely new system? And if so, how do i do that?  

NOTE - I originally set up my sonos move on a different wifi network, because I was living at my old house back then. Not sure if this information is relevant since i factory reset the sonos move, but thought it was worth mentioning.

Same here, update of move taking more than 2 hours so far, and red blinking light. was originally installed on S1 app, since I have a gen1 play 5 as well.

The whole migration to S2 with the new app is a nightmare- nothing works, and its taken hours of my time. Not what I expected from a company I used to love.

I was able to fix the issue i was having from talking through it with tech support. Trying to recall how it was done - I updated the sonos move via the S1 app first. Then, for the regular sonos app (S2), i remember having to make sure that in my iphone settings, “local network” was switched on for the sonos app.