I have tried everything...Literally...

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

Wiring to a 3rd party wireless mesh point is very risky. I suggest that you wire BOOST to and physically move it away from the NIGHTHAWK -- above the water bags if possible. And, disconnect SONOS from the mesh points. The pictured pile of wireless devices will interfere with each other when powered. The APC was not likely much of an issue. That Comcast box next to the router may cause interference.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The other 2 Mesh points or Satellites are the Nighthawk's satellites, not a different 3rd party device, all 3 pieces came together.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hitting the Ground Level, although we have a class coming up in a few hours, I decided to forget the existing system and I also removed the Boost. Starting brand new I connected 1 Play 3 and tied the Sub to that speaker (Rear Right Studio)...so far my Matrix looks like this:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Adding more Speakers

By “3rd party” I meant not SONOS.

I’m not a NIGHTHAWK user. Unless, you come across specific instruction addressing successful use of NIGHTHAWK meshing with SONOS, I suggest that you wire at least one SONOS unit to the main router and physically separate the unit(s) from the NIGHTHAWK. Make sure that the 2.4GHz segment is using 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11. It’s best that SONOS uses a different channel than the NIGHTHAWK. Then post another view of the Network Matrix.

Don’t wire SONOS to a mesh point.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Roger that.

After waiting a few minutes (it was red immediately) when adding the second Play 3, the matrix stays looks like this so far:

I am adding another speaker to see...

Userlevel 7

Hi

I would say the issue is the Comcast business router which I believe is also your modem. My instincts suggest that the Comcast box needs to be placed into Bridge mode.

My guess is you have two WiFi networks and devices are hoping between the two. I have Comcast/Xfinity as my ISP. Their router/modem combo is in Bridge mode.

My 3rd party Asus AiMesh controls all WiFi. I have 30 Sonos devices running in wired mode with a Boost to create the SonosNet. I have numerous other devices on main WiFi such as cell phones, tablets, computers, cameras and other IOT devices with no issues. Knock ✊ on wood 🪵. 

You have nothing to loose by placing the Comcast box into Bridge mode. In fact I’d venture to say Comcast may have suggested placing your Nighthawk into Bridge mode when in fact it should be the opposite. Your Nighthawk should be in Router mode. Of course I’m just guessing about your setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

As I move forward adding speakers, here is what happened in the matrix (sounds funny...in the Matrix...lol)

Then adding the 4th Speaker I gor this:

Green is good, there’s an interference source near Mid Right Studio. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Behind the wall of Mid Right Studio is the electrical room for our building 😬

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I installed the rest, here is the latest update:

Albeit this looks good...It just skipped a few times in just 15 minutes since the start of class 😢

What if I just unplug Front Left and Mid Right, then restart the router?

Which player is wired to the router?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Wiring Sonos to a mesh satellite is usually not good. 

Just put the Boost a meter away from the main unit and wired to it, even if just for testing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Nothing is wired to the Router, it's just connected to the Comcast Modem. All devices are wireless now. Boost and Connect are not in the system now.

As a test wire BOOST to the router, but keep BOOST at least three feet from the router. Allow a few minutes for the system to work out the new topology, then produce a network matrix.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Roger that. I will add the Boost. I will make sure the Router is at least 3 feet away if not more. I will begin that test in about 1.5 hours (after class).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Have not added the Boost yet, Sonos support think they found:

We are testing this now….turns out the Comcast Modem has a router built-in CBR-T is the model

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Nothing solved, but they had me test to see if the Skipping happens on Sonos Radio and it does not, just on Spotify. Then that same Spotify doesn’t skip or have issues when we connect to the JBL BT speaker...I updated Router settings to Channel 11. 

I noticed that some speakers were on 2.4 and the rest on 5ghz. The Nighthawk has an option to create a new separate 2.4ghz network with its own name, should I do that?

The struggle continues 😅

Userlevel 7

Have not added the Boost yet, Sonos support think they found:

We are testing this now….turns out the Comcast Modem has a router built-in CBR-T is the model

@GLO Yoga 

Are you serious????

Maybe you should have read my last post. Here it is….

I would say the issue is the Comcast business router which I believe is also your modem. My instincts suggest that the Comcast box needs to be placed into Bridge mode.

My guess is you have two WiFi networks and devices are hoping between the two. I have Comcast/Xfinity as my ISP. Their router/modem combo is in Bridge mode.

My 3rd party Asus AiMesh controls all WiFi. I have 30 Sonos devices running in wired mode with a Boost to create the SonosNet. I have numerous other devices on main WiFi such as cell phones, tablets, computers, cameras and other IOT devices with no issues. Knock ✊ on wood 🪵. 

You have nothing to loose by placing the Comcast box into Bridge mode. In fact I’d venture to say Comcast may have suggested placing your Nighthawk into Bridge mode when in fact it should be the opposite. Your Nighthawk should be in Router mode. Of course I’m just guessing about your setup.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes I am serious...everything is on 2.4ghz and it always was...

I didn't quite understand what he said when he referenced overlapping. I shouldn't have posted, just got excited thinking he seen something no one else did, such was not the case.

Thanks for your quick reply 

Userlevel 7

So … you still don’t believe that the router portion of the Comcast modem is (or be) the cause of your issues. Until it’s prove otherwise that’s my belief. The router portion of that modem needs to be disabled or stop using your NightHawk mesh and use the router built-in to it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Got it, I hope that is the issue, but I never connected to that before so just never thought it to be a factor, didn’t realize it was a router until yesterday 😞

There must be a way to disable that comcast router and leave the modem running, I will do that first. If that doesn't work I will do the Boost test and place it at 6-7ft height in the studio.

Truly appreciate the support

Userlevel 7

Call Comcast and tell them to place the box in Bridge mode. Well… keep it simple…just tell Comcast you want the router portion of their box turned off (no WiFi capability)

They may push back and give a bunch of rhetoric about support. Don’t buy into that. Comcast still supports the Modem which is how they provide internet service.

Once that issue is resolved you’ll have to make sure your NightHawk mesh is setup properly. Who setup your NightHawk mesh?

After placing the Comcast Gateway in bridge mode, first reboot the Gatateway then the NIGHTHAWK. I hope that you had previously reserved IP addresses in the NIGHTHAWK, otherwise there could be a mess after the reboots.