I have tried everything...Literally...

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes its true, I tried it all, I have even asked Google’s Bard and the AI was like “ You have done extensive troubleshooting, I can’t think of anything else you can to do.” Then Bard said that I can buy new speakers lol.

Rewind a bit, so I have a Yoga studio where we have 6 Play 3’s, a Sonos Connect, Sonos Boost, and in the Lobby 2 Sonos Symfonisk bookshelf speakers. For a period of time things we good, normal the way it should be but then things got worse. 

Once you hit play only half the speakers would go on, it would then by about the 30 second mark all come back. Then every few tracks the audio would skip. So as I mentioned we tried everything to resolve, for example: Restarted the router, restarted the modem, restarted the speakers, updated router firmware, changed networks entirely, connected Sonos to a brand new Network, removed an existing LTE backup router, tried all the different SonosNet channels, nothing would work, the error still persisted as if I didn’t even attempt a fix.

Sonos rep I spoke to looked at my original Diagnostic and said we should test the bandwidth of each device; he said all the devices seem to be from the same Generation (except the Sonos Sub) and had a concern about the amount of devices that are connected to the “Coordinating Speaker”. We choose the Symfonisk to be our coordinating speaker.

Once I connected to that 1 speaker (Symfonisk) everything was perfect Diagnostics #359478355

Then I grouped 2 Symonisk’s (my 2 lobby speakers) and 2 Play 3’s and 1 Sonos Sub, everything was perfect: Diagnostic #326650861

Then I added 2 more Play 3’s so a total of 4 Play 3’s, 2 Symonisk’s and a Sonos Sub, everything was still perfect, Diagnostic #1918676361

I went to add another Play 3, and the moment I added it, that speaker dropped off then came back after almost 20 seconds then my skipping began again Diagnostics #715468770

I then ungrouped that 5th Play 3 and kept it to the 4 speakers that was working well, and although the audio Isn’t dropping out when a new track would start it does still skip every 3-4 songs. and sometimes quicker. Here is the final Diagnostic number I just pulled # 595992515

Does the Play 3 or Sonos Connect, or even the Boost have issues when connecting to a certain number of devices?

If anyone has any insight or has experienced this please do share as I am not providing the best experience to our customer right now.

Truly appreciate any kind of help!

Moderator edit: removed case number

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

98 replies

Userlevel 7

Question...what is the Connect being used for?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Absolutely nothing...I always had an idea if we ever brought in any RCA device I can connect to it, but that literally never happens. It just sits there and gets hot...totally can remove it if it is a detriment to the system

Userlevel 7

Not sure if that’s the root cause but we need a starting point. So by all means remove the Connect. You may have to use the system for a few days to see if the issue reappears. If it does reappear then we’ll know to look elsewhere.

Userlevel 7

Another question...what speaker or stereo pair is the sub bonded to??

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So I have my Studio speakers listed as (all Play 3’s) Rear Left, Rear Right, Mid Left, Mid Right, Front Left and Front Right. I have the Sub tied to my Rear Right Play 3.

Connect is disconnected and I restarted the system, I will start playing. The issue will happen within the first 3 songs played, always is the case (not sure why)

Userlevel 7

Can you send a diagram of where the speakers are positioned in both rooms; Play 3’s and Symfonisk (including the sub).

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Like clock work, 3rd track in, it skips to the next track

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Let me put together a Diagram, but to easily describe the Studio is almost a perfect square, they are all equidistant from each-other perfectly spread throughout the room, It would be an epic surround setup if the mirror was a TV for example. 

The Sub is located in the back of the room. The Lobby and Studio are next to each other. One of the Symfonisk speakers is against a wall on a shelf where the other side of the wall is the studio with a Play 3 that is mounted up higher. The other Symfonisk is further away about 15-20 feet further away.

Userlevel 7

Hello

@buzz @melvimbe @GuitarSuperstar @Airgetlam 

Please take a look at this post. Maybe one of you have an idea of what’s going on??

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

@GLO Yoga 

As you can see I’ve sent a request for a few other community members to take a look at this issue. Like my signature reads….Together Everyone Achieves More = T.E.A.M 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Maybe the Boost is the problem? I can ditch that too, I thought it would help.

Side note some songs fade out right when they begin, others after a minute. No rhyme or reason to the skip.

Once I removed the Connect that app shows a red dot and says Connect Disconnected. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@AjTrek1  Thanks for reaching out to more folks to help, much appreciated! 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

More testing:

I have ungrouped everything leaving only the Symfonisk’s grouped (Lobby Front and Lobby back). For about 4 songs things were great then the randomly it skipped tracks, then seconds later it skipped the next track again quickly, new Diagnostic Report #1807955206. 

So on the network the only thing was the Boost, and 2 Symfonisk’s and the issue was the same, so maybe its not the Play 3’s? Maybe its the Boost (although that makes no sense) and another skipped tack before I finished typing 😑

In a SONOS controller go to Settings → System → About My System and note the IP address of any unit except SUB or BOOST. Now go to http://[IP address]:1400/support/review and click on Network Matrix at the bottom and post that view here. Red cells indicate potential issues. Note that this is a static view. If you change something, refresh the page.

Is there a difference between an empty studio and a full studio?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I will pull the Matrix now, by Empty or Full studio, are you referring to people? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Seems as though the Boost may not be the issue? Its lit up green both Ways

Humans are essentially bags of water and water absorbs WiFi energy. If your space is full of water bags, WiFi performance can suffer. This Matrix is showing very good signal strength all around.

However, there is a lot of interference. Your WiFi should be set for 20MHz channel 1, 6, or 11. What other wireless products are in the area?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So the router is a Netgear Nighthawk Mesh immediately next to it, 4 inches is the Boost, both sit on top an Xfinity(Comcast) Business Modem. There used to be until yesterday a backup LTE Router that seemed like it would be the source of the interference, but I removed it before this.

Well it just dawned on me the Xfinity Business Modem is sitting on top of this Comcast Backup battery thing. If power ever went out it keeps the modem and router on. Everything is plugged into it, like a Surge protector...this thing is fairly large, it's almost like the size of a receiver. Maybe this device is causing interference?? In the morning I will get the Model Number and post a picture.

Thanks!

Placing wireless gadgets close together virtually guarantees interference. Separate the BOOST and Netgear by three feet. Similarly, don’t collocate players and mesh points.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I tried moving the Boost 30 feet away, made zero difference.

I will check this battery backup device and remove it and see what happens. Hoping that may be it.

At 30 feet is BOOST still wired to the router? What does the Network Matrix look like with BOOST at 30 feet?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

I can do that again, but I recall from and end-user perspective it was the same, I had even tried disconnecting the Boost entirely, seems like it didn't make any notable difference. The boost was setup wirelessly in that setup, but I could hardwire it to another Mesh Satellite that is about 10 feet away ( a different location)

When you set up your system with a Boost and unplug it so goes the rest of the system. 

I have been silently wondering if the Boost was causing this, I will test it this morning 

Userlevel 7

Hi

It looks like @buzz is working his magic to resolve the issue. 🤞

Just want to add my amateur experience with with Mesh networks. They can be problematic for Sonos if not properly configured.

My setup is an ISP provided combo router/modem set to bridge mode (i.e. the ISP provided equipment does not send a WiFi signal).

My equipment consists of three Asus routers. My main node (router) is connected to the ISP modem via Ethernet.

My main node is the only piece that has DHCP capability to assign IP Addresses. The other routers communicate with the main router via Ethernet Backhaul.

The other method is called wireless Backhaul typically using a 5Ghz band. Wireless Backhaul is found in most Mesh networks. Either method will work however Ethernet Backhaul is more stable for obvious reasons.

My point here is to make sure ISP provided equipment is properly configured.  Make sure that any satellite nodes are not assigning IP Addresses to any component they may connect to either by Ethernet or WiFi.

That’s all I have. Now back to you @buzz 😂

EDIT: Make sure all components are up-to-date with latest software and/or firmware. Check your ISP provided gear by accessing the Admin page if allowed.

GLO Yoga,

I’m confused. Are any of your SONOS units wired to a network port? If none are wired, BOOST has no function and should be powered down.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

As I pulled out the extra devices the is what the set-up looked like:

Now that huge APC backup thing, the Sonos Connect and the Boost (relocated) are not here anymore, just the Comcast Business Router and Nighthawk router.

Moving the Boost yields no positive results, system would show offline until the Boost was Hardwired, wireless did not work. I still moved it but hardwired it into a satellite to a Mesh in the Lobby. 

The Matrix looks exactly the same and audio still skipping every few tracks. 

@buzz There is nothing hardwired except the Boost to the Nighthawk router, everything else is wireless...sounds like I need to remove the Boost?

I can try that after our 11am (PST) class so say 12:30pm 👍