Skip to main content
Answered

How to stream from iPhone to TV with sound to Sonos speakers

• 19 December 2022
  • 1 reply

In my setup i use

Sonos Beam connected to TV through HDMI ARC

2x Sonos Five

I only play music and are not really intrested in surround for movies. 

My issue is:

I want to stream video from my iphone to my TV, but still want the sound to go to my Sonos speakers.

I’ve tried to put Beam and Sonos Five in a group where the Five’s is surround. Problem is that the sound coming out from the Five’s is very low, because they acting like surround speakers.
I want to be able to put Beam at 0, and Five at 100.

If i use for example youtube app on smart tv, it works. But i want to be able to choose videos from iPhone or iPad for example when you have friends at home and want to play music videos and send the iPad around for people to search on it.

Problem is if i use screen mirroring, the sound will not pass through to sonos, only to my tv-speakers.

Will it work any better with ex an Apple TV connected to my TV?

Any suggestions?

1 reply

You’re honing in on the difference between the Sonos receiving the data from the digital connection through the TV set, and streaming directly to the Sonos system. 

I’d suggest trying (never done this myself) to send the audio via AirPlay 2 to the Beam, and set the surrounds on the Beam to be “Full” rather than “Ambient” in the surround speaker’s settings, so that they play the full stereo signal, rather than just act as surround support. Note that this setting is just from streaming music, and not input coming in through the digital connection.