Answered

How to join (fusion) multiple Sonos Systems on a single Wi-Fi.

• 12 November 2023
  • 7 replies

Ok, I’m getting crazy. I have approximately 12 Sonos speakers, that decided to create a bunch of different Sonos Systems. I have 4 systems total on my network. 

I tried to unplug everything (modem, router, etc.) and replug in order, but it’s still not working.

Is there a way to fusion those different networks in a single one? 

If now, what else can I do? One of the really frustrating thing is that some of my pairs are now on seperate network. 

icon

Best answer by buzz 12 November 2023, 02:04

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

I suspect that you have purchased additional SONOS units or Factory Reset some units. New or Factory Reset units must be added to a system. Likely you setup a new system with these units, rather than “Add to Existing System”. This is an easy mistake. Recovery can be a bit messy.

Note that Factory Reset will trash all room names, music service registrations, SONOS Playlists, and any customizations stored on a unit.

Pick through your systems and choose the system that has the best list of music service registrations and SONOS Playlists. If the systems are registered to different email addresses, this might be a reason to pick the system. This will become your all in one, base system after the following. Do not Factory reset any unit in this base system.

Factory Reset all units belonging to the unwanted systems. Now you can, one by one, add these units to your base system. As you add these reset units to your system, take care to “Add to Existing System”, else you’ll be back in the same soup. 

---

While you are messing with things I suggest that you go into your router’s configuration and “reserve” or “fix” IP addresses for all of your SONOS units and any regular network clients. This will minimize the risk of future issues on your network. Failure to reserve IP addresses is a major reason users get into the sort of mess that you are experiencing because there were network issues caused by duplicate IP addresses and the users felt that a Factory Reset would fix the issue. In general Factory Reset might accidentally (temporally) work around an issue, but will not result in a permanent “cure”. The factory reset suggested above is one of the few cases where it will be constructive and permanently cure an issue.

I did indeed try to do some factory reset, but the problem started before that. I guess that’s why there are 4 multiple systems. 

Thanks, I will try this!

Maxime

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Once you get all your Sonos back into one system post back and tell us about the initial problem you were having and see if we can fix it.

Aside from all the grief the factory reset has put you through it rarely solves an issue, only pushes it a bit into the future where it will bite you again. Sonos warns against the factory resets without a Sonos support consult first but maybe they need to make that warning more prominent.

So this isn’t working. 

I wasn’t able to add them back to the system. 

Now here is where I am : I had to factory reset all of my 14 Sonos speakers, factory reset my router and reinstall Sonos App on my phone. 

I’m able to create a new system and add some of my units, but some of them just can’t seem to be able to be added to the Wi-Fi network. On some of my Sonos, I have the Sonos has been added but may not appear in the systems tab message. 

There doesn’t seem to be any way to add them. 

Does any one have an idea on what to do?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Pick one speaker that is working correctly, power down everything else.

Pick one speaker that is not working right, factory reset it and add it to your system.

If that works you may have to go through this multiple times to get all of them back.

If you still have some that won’t go it is likely time to call Sonos support.

Yes, that’s what I’ve been doing, and it’s not working. 

I’m going to call them on Monday, thanks!

So if anyone ever arrives here when searching this problem, I finally fixed it. 

What I did was more complex, but basically, here’s what would have worked : 

• Unplug all of your Sonos
  • Unplus all of your routers except one (ex: if you have a mesh, only keep one). Restart the remaining router.
  • Restart your Sonos, wait a bit, and check. They should all be there.
  • Play some music in all of them. In the About my system tab, note the IP of all of the Sonos. 
  • In your router settings, go find the devices with the same IP, change their name (so it’s easier next time) and reserve their IP (procedure will vary). 
  • If there are speakers that are missing, unplug them, do a factory reset to one at the time and add them to your Sonos. Then play some music, and reserve their IP.

You should be able to use your other router again after this, and everything will stay there.