Skip to main content

At our business (a local fitness studio) in Santa Monica we use 4 x Sonos speakers during our fitness classes but the connectivity is poor.

Our trainers are frequently interrupted by the music dropping and going out during workouts. It happens so frequently that they’ve stopped using the Sonos and they’ve started using a 3rd party bluetooth speaker in the classes which is a really wonky and sub-optimal solution.

How can I fix the connectivity issue? We already tried range extenders for our wifi and that didn’t work. 

Can I hire a local tech to come and wire our sonos speakers together? I’d love for trainers to be able to plug in their devices (iphones) to play music and give them 100% confidence that the music will never go out, so I’m happy to invest in hardwiring the speakers.

Try moving one close to the router and connect it using ethernet. Unplug the others first, then restart them and see how it works? It could be much cheaper than hardwiring the lot, I’d also wait until the current state of affairs with the new app is resolved before spending money.

Easy enough to hard-wire them, your installer just needs to run standard Ethernet to each. Run the Ethernet back to your main router and plug them in there, if you are short ports a $25 Ethernet Switch will give you extra ports.

Avoid: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/incompatible-network-hardware

Wiring just one might help if it is a WiFi issue, but if it is radio (RF) noise the wires are the way to go.