Answered

Grouping speakers using App when source is another device (not the phone)

• 27 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have a SONOS Arc SL with surrounds connected to a Samsung TV via eARC HDMI. When I want to hear music in other rooms on my remote One SL’s it is typically easy to hit their individual ‘group’ buttons to sync the remotes with the Arc SL. (And of course, if the source of the audio is on my phone it is easy to group the speakers via the app.) However, I want to add more One SL’s and place them about 10’ up on a recessed shelf - in this case I will not be able to sync them manually using the ‘group’ button on the individual speakers. Is there as way to group these unreachable remote speakers using the app on my iPhone to sync with the Arc SL even when my iPhone is not the source of the audio? Thanks so much!

Abqishome

icon

Best answer by buzz 27 November 2022, 23:50

View original

5 replies

Group them the same way you would if the source was your phone.  There is no difference between the two.

jgatie, thanks for the fast reply. On my phone I would go to the ‘airplay’ icon and select all the speaker to group music. That does not seem to spread the TV audio on the Arc SL to the other speakers, it appears my phone is expecting me to fire up some music or other source. Are you suggesting I use the ‘airplay’ icon or the Sonos app to group the speakers? I have not been able to determine how to group them with the app. Please help clarify. Thanks!

Don’t attempt to use Airplay to Group TV audio. Here is the correct way, using the SONOS controller. You’ll Group ARC with other SONOS Rooms.

buzz et al, Doh, what a dork I am. I found groups on the newest Sonos app and created a whole house group, cool. But still I was not sure how to play the Arc SL TV audio in other rooms… and then I saw the ICON next to the volume in the Arc SL window. And voila there were all the other rooms/spkrs I could select - including the new group I created. All good, thanks friends! See pic  

ABQishome

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You’re not the only one to whom it is not apparent what the group icon represents. See the posts about “not being able to group two rooms”. Maybe Sonos could think of a new icon, preferably showing a group of speakers?