Answered

Google WiFi - Sonos App drops Speakers

• 5 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

Hi there,

I have a Google WiFi Mesh with 4 nodes (one outside) in a fairly long house. The nodes are hardwired via managed switches. 

I have 14 Sonos devices across 6 rooms, including a Roam, Amp, Boost (wired via ethernet), and Arc (also wired via ethernet). 

I've made some changes to the system recently, changed password, and settings on the managed switches.

My question:

When my phone is connected to the primary node, and some of the other nodes, I see all Sonos devices in the Sonos App. When I move physically, and phone connects to another node, I only see half of my system: the system seems to be divided between the Arc (hardwired) and the Boost (hardwired).

No matter which node I connect to, the support matrix looks great, mostly white/ green/ few yellow connections. I can always control all speakers via Google Home App. I get no drop outs. Today I've pinned all IP addresses, no improvement.

I have 1 switch right after the primary node, and then 2 secondary switches after that. The Boost is right into the 1st switch. The Arc is via a secondary switch. I've enabled MTU VLAN on both of the secondary switches; could this be causing an issue? I didn't think so, as I see all devices with these settings when my phone is connected to some of the WiFi nodes.

Any ideas, thanks!

icon

Best answer by ratty 5 August 2023, 14:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge +1

Here's a quick sketch of my set-up.

It sounds like discovery multicasts aren’t getting through from the controller to all the players, depending on which Google node the phone is connected to. Is IGMP snooping enabled on all the switch ports?

Badge +1

Thank you for the response!

Ah, I've actually got IGMP Snooping disabled in all switches, I was having some strange throttling and drop outs of Google WiFi, and was advised to turn this off; that's the reason I also enabled MTU VLAN (I figured having segregation would help this).

Do you recommend I have this activated? Would it still work with MTU VLAN enabled on all switches - or is it just not required?

Google WiFi seems pretty happy at the moment, so I'm a little worried about changing things! 

I had to google “MTU VLAN” (MTU normally means something completely different) and found this:

Multi-Tenant Unit (MTU) VLAN ... MTU VLAN is kind of a »one-click setup« where one uplink port will create several VLANs. Each VLAN will have two ports as members – the uplink port and another port –, so all »tenant« ports are connected to the uplink port while communication between devices on the »tenant« ports is prohibited.

If this “prohibition” applies to peer downstream ports on your switches it might explain things. 

Badge +1

Thanks again!

Yeah, I believe it does. I've just turned this off on all switches, IGMP Snooping is still disabled, and we're all good with the speakers in the App. Hopefully Google WiFi will stay happy.

Thanks for your help!

In theory IGMP Snooping is more of an optimisation step, by preventing the flooding of multicast packets out of ports which don’t need them. That said, IIRC there have been switches which didn’t forward multicast at all without it.