Five or Sub mini

• 24 April 2023
  • 3 replies

I currently have an era 300 in one corner of my room and a HomePod in the opposite, I have a fairly small room so the sound when both connected via airplay fills the room great with a decent amount of base.

I got the era 300 as I was upgrading my turntable set up and it accommodates it and it does sound great, however I obviously can't connect the HomePod at the same time so only comes out the Era, I listen to a lot of jazz, swing and blues via the turntable, therefore requires a lot of bass but I don't think its quite good enough with just the one speaker without turning up the volume too much. I turned up the bass via the app but then it overloads the vocals.

I love hearing the bass without compromising the rest if the instrumentals. 

Long story short do I add a sub mini to the set up or a Sonos five?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

While I’m a big fan of the Five and I do a lot of listening to my single Five I’d suggest another path here.

Since you have a single 300 you are getting mono sound which for most folks isn’t ideal for music, a pair of matched speakers correctly placed in relation to the listening position is usually far superior.

If a second 300 still leaves you feeling the need for more low end, then add the Sub mini.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I’d echo what @Stanley_4 says. The great thing is: buy direct from Sonos and use the home trial opportunity. If two Eras don’t work for you, return the new one and buy the Sub Mini. I don’t think a mix of Era and Five would work though. 

I agree, go with another ERA, anything thing paired in stereo will sound better than a single speaker.