Feature Request to use Sonos speakers as PC output

• 28 June 2023
  • 7 replies

I question why I spent over $500 on two Roams if it lacks the technology to be compatible with non-Apple products. Yes, AirPlay is cool, but if I wanted to just use the Apple ecosystem than I would have bought four Apple HomePod Mini’s for the SAME price, yet double the speakers, and honestly, way better features.

Consider this a feature request for audio output on PC to Sonos speakers.

• I have the PC Sonos S2 App
  • I have two Sonos Roam speakers and a Sonos One
  • I want to have surround audio sound like I do when I use my Apple TV, but for my PC instead. Currently, because of AirPlay, I am able to do this with my speakers. However, the PC app is being left behind, there is no option.
  • I CANNOT have PC audio output go to my speakers right now. Therefore, if I wish to use YouTube or another streaming service via my PC, audio will not go through the speakers.

The point of purchasing these speakers was to use on devices that were not just Apple. I liked the fact that I can have pair/party mode when using “integrated” streaming services. But, if I am watching a movie or video, there is no option here. Which ultimately defeats the purpose entirely.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

1. There is no way you are getting “surround sound” from your Apple TV using two Roams and a One.  You are getting stereo Airplay, which isn’t even close to surround sound.
  2. You have two Roams.  Why not connect your PC via Bluetooth?  Then you can group the Roams with your One to hear your PC over the Sonos devices. 

Hey, @jgatie. I am confident that you’re correct about the surround sound being Stereo AirPlay. I apologize for the incorrect terminology.

Regardless, the Bluetooth is insufficent. As of right now, I watch people speak in videos and hear the audio seconds later. It’s very drastic and is not a solution to my listening experience, whether it be music or movies.

Hey, @jgatie. I am confident that you’re correct about the surround sound being Stereo AirPlay. I apologize for the incorrect terminology.

Regardless, the Bluetooth is insufficent. As of right now, I watch people speak in videos and hear the audio seconds later. It’s very drastic and is not a solution to my listening experience, whether it be music or movies.

Yes, Bluetooth can be problematic.  Though I’m not sure how effective your request is going to be.  Never say never, but users have been asking for Sonos to be used as PC speakers since the first days of the product and they are still waiting.

“Audio seconds later” would be a characteristic of the PC or source material, not ROAM. ROAM will add a 75ms delay not seconds.

Hi all, I have a Sonos 5 with a line-in from my pc and am getting a 4-5 second delay in sound, there must be a solution to this (he says…hopefully!)

Maybe compression or delay has been set by accident. In general, I find that PC’s are very sloppy with audio sync management.

And no matter what settings you adjust, the lowest delay you’ll get to is 75 ms, which Sonos uses to buffer the line in for playback in multiple ‘rooms’, and there is no way to avoid that.