Skip to main content

Every Speaker Sporadically Comes and Goes...

...but especially the Play 3 on the right channel of a stereo pair.

Connect, four Play 1’s, two Play 3’s. The Left Play 3 is wired.

Sirius and TuneIn had been fine all week.

Last night, Amazon music started dropping sporadically.

Today, Amazon and Connect both drop sporadically all over the apartment.

I have swapped red and white cables on every piece of equipment up to and including the Connect, so I presume the Right channel dropping while listening to Line In is NOT an input issue.

I have spent the last 90 minutes rebooting my system.

When I try changing channels, every wireless speaker disappears. So I have brought each one from its locations, brought them to the living room, wired them, rebooted, and slowly they’ve been re-recognized by the system. This has happened twice.

Right now the Connect and the Left Play 3 are both wired, and the sporadic dropping continues. (Long term the only device that can remain wired is the Left Play 3.)

Diagnostic tickets 138353271

I believe the first is through Amazon music, the second is through the Connect.

When I press the Play/Pause or volume buttons on the Right Play 3, even when it’s not playing music, the system responds. Likewise, when I use the controller to tell the Right Play 3 to turn its light on and off, even when it’s not playing music, it responds.

How does the system perform if you un-pair the stereo PLAY:3’s, then power down the problem PLAY:3? You could also experiment by swapping the left and right PLAY:3 assignments, then physically swap the the PLAY:3’s while wiring the left.

I’m not following the first bit. I did swap the threes, and still had the “sporadicity”. The wired one stayed true.

I’d like to rule out some sort of hardware issue with the right PLAY:3 that is disrupting the network.

In addition to exploring the possibility of a hardware issue with that original, problematic right speaker, I’ll call it ‘B’, we need to explore the possibility that there is something unfortunate about that right physical location. That’s why I suggested swapping ‘A’ with ‘B’ and redefining them logically within the SONOS system. ‘B’ will become the left speaker, sitting in the left physical location and wired to the network. ‘A’ will sit in ‘B’s original physical location.

Strategic, documented diagnostic submissions might be helpful too.

Well I had those two diagnostics. That speaker has been in that position for four-plus years and this is the first time that particular interference has happened.

What’s vexing is the fact that it is always present with two services (Connect, Amazon Music) and never present with two others (Sirius, TuneIn).

New diagnostic - Playing Connect (i.e., Line In), Speakers dropping all over the place.