Answered

era100 stereo pair

• 10 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a pair of Era100’s in a stereo pair, playing music works to them without any issues. I also have a recently purchased LG C3 TV Set, which has a standard 3.5mm analog audio output which I have connected to one of the era100s via line in. This works but there is intermittent drop in/out periodically in the right channel/era100. I had a call with Sonos Support and they told me the line in on the era100’s does not support TVs only cd players or turntables. This seemed like an odd answer to me why should the analogue audio output from a TV be any different to a CD player or turntable?

If this is indeed true what are my options to get the TV audio into the Sonos speakers. The main reason I actually want tv audio into Sonos is there is an xbox series x connected to the TV.

Is my only option here to buy a soundar and then use the era100’s as surrounds?

If that's the case can I get away with the ray connected to the optical port on the tv? Will this banish the issues I’m having with the right channel?

icon

Best answer by Corry P 15 December 2023, 12:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Agreed that it is an odd answer, the Sonos has no idea on an analog log in as to what is generating the line level input. However, they are correct in a way, that line in is not designed to be used for a TV, as all Sonos analog line ins have a minimum of a 75ms delay built in, so that Sonos can buffer the input and share it without interruption across any WiFi connected rooms. This delay can not be turned off, so it makes lipsync with a TV set problematic. 

This delay does not exist on digital line ins such as on all devices that Sonos has designed for connection to a TV, the Sonos Amp, the Ray, the Beam, and the Arc. You could use any of these devices to connect your Sonos system to your TV, without that delay in that room. Of course, if you try to group other rooms, you then have to have that delay, but the Home Theater ‘room’, along with any assigned ‘surrounds’, will be in sync. 

As to the right channel issues, I suspect some sort of wifi interference . Or, less probably, a duplicate IP address problem. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If the above doesn't; work for you.

Try your setup with any device (other than the TV) that has a line out. If it is still not working call Sonos back and don’t mention the TV issue at all.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @udp53 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I agree with @Airgetlam - although it is correct that line-in is not ideal for TV viewing, the agent you spoke to should still have done some troubleshooting for you. I’m choosing to see this as a training opportunity and feedback will be provided to the agent you spoke to.

As for the issue, it seems that it’s most likely due to the high number of failed transmissions that the Left speaker is reporting. Please remove any WiFi- or radio-capable devices from the immediate vicinity of both speakers (all WiFi devices like to have 1m separation from others). As it seems the speakers are in an office, this could be quite a few devices - cordless telephone bases, printers, laptops, the TV, etc. Our Reducing Wireless Interference page may be of help to you. Please also note that metal or glass surfaces in extreme proximity can also produce interference.

I hope this helps - if it does not, please reproduce the issue and submit a support diagnostic, replying here with the number given.