Answered

ERA Speaker connections to ARC and Bluetooth and External Source

• 2 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Cross posting here from the Reddit group.

I just finished listening to the Q&A and reviewing a lot of posts in this group but I don't think that I fully understand.  (By the way, the link in the email didn’t work on my computer and I had to log on late using my mobile.)

I want to use two ERA speakers as rear speakers to pair with my Arc and Subwoofer. I am interested in the ERA speakers because of the line in option to use with a CD player or turntable. I also want to use the system for Bluetooth streaming.

I heard during the recording that the ERA speakers is the easiest way to connect other content to the overall speaker system, but then I also heard that the sound system was only one way from the ARC to the ERA speakers. From the comments in this group, it sounds like I can get this setup to work by doing different setups for each use case, but that is not clear.

I do understand that streaming from my mobile will not provide Atmos level sound, but how do you set up the system to be able to stream music to the ERA speakers using bluetooth and have the music also run through the ARC and subwoofer?

Lots of questions, but it almost sounds like I won't be able to accomplish what I want with these speakers.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 2 August 2023, 21:06

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

It’s fairly simple. When used as surround speakers, all Sonos ‘line in’ functions, no matter which device is in use, are turned off. 

In order to use a line in, the Sonos device needs to not be a surround speaker.

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately when the Era 300s are used as surrounds in a Sonos home theater setup, the Bluetooth and line-in features are both disabled. If you want to connect a CD player or turntable via line-in, you need to get another Sonos device with line-in like an Era 100, Port, or Five. If you want to send Bluetooth audio to the Arc and Sub, you need to get another Bluetooth-enabled Sonos device that can share Bluetooth audio which are the Era 300, Era 100, Roam, or Roam SL.

Thanks for the input.  I guess that the ERA speakers are not going to solve what I want.