Answered

Era 300 Sonos 2 android app wont connect

The Sonos 2 app doesn't work - it won't connect to my speaker. My android Bluetooth is working and finds the speaker. It trys to connect by it fails with a message that says I have to use the Sonos 2 app. The Sonos 2 app can't find my product.

Please help

This is so frustrating

Thanks

Russ

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 April 2024, 17:46

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

@Russell999 

How is your wifi setup in detail? Are there other devices besides the router? Wifi extenders often do not work properly with Sonos and might cause such issues. 

The Era 300 is S2 only compatible… if the S2 App is controlling its Sonos Household then you likely need to check the App permissions as mentioned here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-permissions

The mobile controller device also needs to meet the system requirements shown here…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/sonos-app-requirements

You could always go onto try an App reset and connect it back to the ‘existing’ system, but ensure the mobile is not blocking the connection with security software such as VPN client or Firewall software etc. check too that both mobile and speaker are using the same network access point and maybe even go onto try them both on the same WiFi band.

I have only every trued to sonos 2 app.

I have done a reset and it made no difference.

I havd stmwufched the sky router, android phone and the era off. If makes no difference.

My phone has all the necessary permissions and can see the speaker but if us thd app that blocks the connection. Thd app is faulty. I have trued af different houses with different routers. I have tried different phones. J have even connected a phone to thd speaker bh cable. Nothing works. A complete waste of time. The app must be faulty it ulss the only logical conclusion.

Seems odd, since you appear to be the only one with this failure. Have you tried a call Sonos Support directly to discuss it? They could help identify if it is a hardware issue, or an app issue, or even a network issue. 

I have only every trued to sonos 2 app.

I have done a reset and it made no difference.

I havd stmwufched the sky router, android phone and the era off. If makes no difference.

My phone has all the necessary permissions and can see the speaker but if us thd app that blocks the connection. Thd app is faulty. I have trued af different houses with different routers. I have tried different phones. J have even connected a phone to thd speaker bh cable. Nothing works. A complete waste of time. The app must be faulty it ulss the only logical conclusion.

Not really logical, as people use the App worldwide, myself, my friends and family included …and it’s working fine here with all our Sonos products, including several Era 300s. If you cannot resolve it, then you’re perhaps best to contact Sonos Support and talk through the issues you’re facing with the Staff.

Here is a link to give them a call…

https://support.sonos.com/s/contact

I have the exact same issue. I can even see the 300s and sub in the Router device list but they say offline and WILL NOT CONNECT with the Sonos app. Arc works perfect.  If I didn't think the setup would sound good I would have already taken them back to the retailer.  It's got to something simple but nothing works. 

Have you turned off the radio/wifi on your Arc, perhaps because you wired it to your router? The Arc communicates (bonds) with the surround speakers and Sub via a WiFi signal, so you should never turn off the radio/wifi on any Sonos soundbar. 

Bruce,

Thank you for the response.  

Radio is on. I think my main issue at this point is, all of the sonos system sets up on 2.4Ghz but there is no way I can see to change the Sub and 300s to 5 Ghz.  I tried to direct wire the Arc in hopes this would create a base point but it did the same. As I said the wifi sees the devices but they are "offline".

Not sure I understand, unfortunately.

When using ‘bonded’ speakers, such as surrounds or Subs, you don’t have any ability to set the connection frequency. By default, they connect to a ‘hidden’ (to you) 5Ghz frequency emanated by the soundbar. This means that the 5Ghz antenna on the soundbar and the surrounds/subs are in use, and you can’t use that antenna to connect to the rest of your Sonos, or your WiFi, on 5Ghz. Fortunately, that doesn’t sound like an issue for you. 

These devices get proxy IP addresses through their connection to the soundbar, and do not directly connect to your WiFi. I’m beginning to wonder if you’re overthinking this, by trying to look at their connection in your router. Is the Sub currently working, when you’re playing a Dolby Digital movie? And the surrounds?

There is, I’m lead to believe, a secondary path for the data to take, much less direct, by wiring the soundbar, the Sub, and the surrounds back to the router. I suspect this adds a millisecond or two of delay, for redirecting the data through the router, it isn’t something I recommend. 

Have you submitted a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and called Sonos Support to discuss it?

Bruce,

Thank you. I understand why my troubles "sounded" incorrect. After I read your post I realized exactly what was going on. I went home and blasted the first movie that had surround. Sure enough the whole Sonos system came alive with the excellent sound I have been expecting. 

Thanks again.