Era 300 or Play 5 to connect to sonos 1

• 31 December 2023
  • 5 replies

We have 2 pairs of sonos 1 speakers that were purchased in the last year - 1 pair is Sonos SL and other is Sonos 1.  We are looking  to add either an  Era 300 or sonos play 5 with 2 goals:

1. New speaker needs to direct connect to a turntable with a preamp
  2. new speaker needs to connect to the 4 sonos 1 speakers we already have to play turntable and any other music through wi-fi (since the they are not bluetooth capable)

thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Either speaker would do for a turntable Line-In. The Era300 would require the optional adapter.

Play:5 doesn’t have Bluetooth.

Thanks Ratty, I think you ansered my question the other day as well.  I understand from reading that either speaker will work for the turn table. But will the turntable plugged into the Era 300 serve as a source to play the other 4 sonos 1 speakers? Or is the Play 5 better to run the system? I have an older play 5 pair already and 2 original model sonos 1 speakers (run on the old sonos s1 app) that all interconnect with the bridge which is directly connected to Wi-fi via either-net.  That system is in a different location though. What took the place of the “bridge” in the new systems?

Thanks Ratty, I think you ansered my question the other day as well.  I understand from reading that either speaker will work for the turn table. But will the turntable plugged into the Era 300 serve as a source to play the other 4 sonos 1 speakers?

Any Line-In can be played anywhere on the system, on any speaker(s).

Or is the Play 5 better to run the system?

It depends what you mean by “better”. Play:5 has a Line-In option, like Era300. The Play:5/gen2 can run S1 or S2, though the Five requires S2. Neither have Bluetooth.

Play:5/Five can connect to WiFi or SonosNet wirelessly. Era300 is WiFi only for wireless operation.

I have an older play 5 pair already and 2 original model sonos 1 speakers (run on the old sonos s1 app) that all interconnect with the bridge which is directly connected to Wi-fi via either-net.  That system is in a different location though. What took the place of the “bridge” in the new systems?

The equivalent to the Bridge for S2 systems is (or was) the Boost. Boost has now been discontinued. Any speaker that supports SonosNet can be wired and function as a Boost. 

The latest devices such as Era300 can only connect to WiFi, or be wired using the optional adapter. When wired they do not set up SonosNet or function as a Boost.

Sonos appears to be moving away from SonosNet.

Thanks again Ratty,

So it sounds like either the Play5 or Era 300 will both connect to the turntable, which will also give us the ability to play records on the whole system with the  Sonos 1 speakers. 

Can you confirm this?

Positive for Play 5 (new generation 2) would be that I can also include my older speakers that played on the S1 app

Positive for Era 300 is it has bluetooth.

Knowing our configuration, what would you get for yourself? Play5 or Era 300?

What is the implication for the sonos 1 speakers that SonosNet is being dusted?

Peace, Megan

So it sounds like either the Play5 or Era 300 will both connect to the turntable, which will also give us the ability to play records on the whole system with the  Sonos 1 speakers. 

Can you confirm this?

Correct. But do note you have to purchase an optional adapter for the Era300.

Positive for Play 5 (new generation 2) would be that I can also include my older speakers that played on the S1 app

Positive for Era 300 is it has bluetooth.

Knowing our configuration, what would you get for yourself? Play5 or Era 300?

I couldn’t really say, as I have no S1. The Era300 is more versatile.

What is the implication for the sonos 1 speakers that SonosNet is being dusted?

I don’t know whether you mean S1 by “sonos 1”. Whether on S1 or S2, existing devices will work just as they did, connected to SonosNet or WiFi. The trend however is apparently towards WiFi connection for new Sonos products. Modern WiFi has many times the bandwidth of SonosNet, and in mesh form achieves the physical distribution required.