Era 300 line-in and stereo pair issues

• 29 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Short version:

Currently, it appears that when two Era 300 speakers are in a stereo pair, using the line-in for one of the speakers causes that speaker to play audio, while the other remains silent, even though the stereo pair operates as expected with other sources.

Additional background:

A few days ago I was helping a fellow Sonos owner with a setup she was trying to achieve. She has two Era 300s and a Sub, which she planned to use as a 2.1 unit. Her intended audio source was a third-party mixing board connected to the line-in of one of the Eras. In this setup, the Era physically receiving the line-in signal played audio as expected, while the other Era in the stereo pair remained silent. This was true even when the Sub was dropped from the equation. When testing other “regular” sources such as Spotify through the Sonos app, the 2.0 or 2.1 setup performed exactly as expected. All firmware was current as of 12/26.

The workaround we found was to keep the Era 300s independent, pair the Sub to one of them, and then create a group consisting of the Era+Sub and second Era. In this configuration, playing the line-in source to the group caused both Eras and the Sub to be active, although this is of course “dual mono” rather than true stereo.

She decided that dual mono might actually be better for her use case anyway, but I wanted to find out if anyone else can reproduce this, and if so determine whether it may also affect other line-in source scenarios, e.g. from a Port, or whether this issue/limitation applies only to using the line-in of an Era 300 that’s part of a stereo pair.

I’m not at this person’s home anymore, so I can’t perform further testing myself, and I suppose it’s technically possible that the mixer may have only been sending one channel of audio to the Era -- didn’t think to check that with a channel sweep test -- but I consider that highly unlikely.

Any input from other owners or feedback from Sonos -- along with a fix if appropriate! -- would be much appreciated.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Quite often similar issues turn out to be that the user didn’t push the plug fully into the 3.5 jack. Check for that first.

If that wasn’t it recreate the problem and send Sonos a diagnostic, then contact them directly to discuss the issue.

Quite often similar issues turn out to be that the user didn’t push the plug fully into the 3.5 jack. Check for that first.

If that wasn’t it recreate the problem and send Sonos a diagnostic, then contact them directly to discuss the issue.

Thanks Stanley. Unfortunately as noted, I’m not able to test anymore, and the owner decided that dual mono was preferable for her specific case. I posted this more to find out if anyone else might be willing to replicate this setup and confirm that the issue either occurs or doesn’t.

The other frequent issue is the use of a mono cable, rather than a stereo cable. If someone isn’t familiar with the difference, it’s hard to tell. Not everyone knows to look at that 3.5mm tip. 

The other frequent issue is the use of a mono cable, rather than a stereo cable. If someone isn’t familiar with the difference, it’s hard to tell. Not everyone knows to look at that 3.5mm tip. 

I do know how to look, but I didn’t -- mostly because the dual mono idea turned out to be preferable. So again, I’m curious if anyone can replicate this setup and advise whether or not they see the same issue.