ERA 300 and 100 no Google Assistant, Really?

• 7 February 2024
  • 12 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

I just purchased a new ERA 300 knowing it was voice enabled, I had no idea that Sonos had dropped Google.  So now I have 19 speakers in my house that use Google and 1 that can’t.  Who is responsible for the product road map at Sonos, what a joke.  I was going to replace 9 One’s with ERA 100’s, that can’t happen now.  I guess this will end my relationship with Sonos.  I have Nest Cameras and Doorbells at my house and if you don’t use Google the chime will not go to your voice enabled speakers.  Does Sonos consider these issues when they develop their products?  What a total lack of consistency and professionalism.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

You can use any of the other 19 speakers to control the Era 300 using Google Assistant.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I am not trying to control the Era 300.  How do I replace my 9 One’s?  Doesn’t get my doorbell chime to work on the Era either, makes no sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I just purchased a new ERA 300 knowing it was voice enabled, I had no idea that Sonos had dropped Google.
Does Sonos consider these issues when they develop their products?  What a total lack of consistency and professionalism.

Yup, it’s all the fault of Sonos. The well-publicised legal dispute between Sonos and Google will have had no bearing on Sonos’s decision. And they don’t say anything on their marketing or in FAQ’s to give you any clue. 

Oh, wait a minute: that’s not right. They did advise us. 

Still, with only 19 Sonos speakers I can see why you’d want to dump them all… 

And it was Google that made it hard for Sonos on the Era line of speakers, by changing the requirements. I’ll give you that it would have been nice for Sonos to go back, postpone product release, and work to initiate these new requirements…

Userlevel 1
Badge

So is there a possibility in the future these products will support Google with a software update?

It would be feasible, I would suspect, but highly unlikely. But that would potentially require additional hardware from Sonos or perhaps relaxation of requirements from Google. And this is pure speculation on my part. 

My guess would be that there are unhappy people on both sides, but it seems unlikely either side would bend. And we, the customers pay for that. 

I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Wow, I am sorry.  I had no idea about this lawsuit.  I have just been reading about it and you are correct, it is so sad they the consumer will end up paying the price.  However, with that said, my relationship with Sonos has officially come to an end, as I need that technology for all of my devices to work together.  Good Luck Sonos, sounds like your days may be numbered.  Such a shame, I love this new speaker, but I will have to return it.

Heh. I don’t expect this to make a huge impact on Sonos, but sorry to hear you’re leaving. I’ve not found any system that is a widely capable, and as good sounding as Sonos, but then I don’t have the same requirements as you do. 

Good luck!

@drewbab1229,
The Wife and I took the alternative approach and got rid of all the Google Hubs & Nest Display devices in the home. We also ditched our YouTube Music subscription and switched over to Amazon Alexa & (the cheaper) Amazon Music Unlimited HD annual subscription.

There was very little issue switching the Philips Hue Lights, Hive Heating, IP/doorbell Cameras, Louvolite Blinds, TP-Link smart plugs and Logitech Harmony Hubs over to Alexa - and we kept (and later expanded) our Sonos system instead, which I find has far more functionality with Alexa and SVC working side-by-side on many of our speakers, compared to anything that the Google assistant could ever do.

It was the best decision we could have made as the new Era and portable sonos speakers are great products, especially the Era 300s and Move 2.

So not everyone will go the same route as yourself. There are no regrets here and our (grown up) children and their partners, are doing the same/similar thing in each of their family Homes too.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yeah, I am not ditching all of my Nest outdoor cameras and doorbells, just because Sonos and Google can’t get their act together.  Not to mention, I am not a big Amazon fan.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As I understand it, the Era speakers will work with Google Assistant, but will not use their microphone. My (would be) solution tot that is to use a Google Nest Mini. From this thread it seems these speakers, and so from now on all new Sonos speakers, will not work with GA at all? Can anyone confirm this?

As I stated before the move by Sonos away from GA is very unfortunate - for people who are invested in Nest stuff, but also for people in places where people speak a language that Alexa or SVC do not do, like my native language, Dutch. If my conclusion from this thread is right, the problem is worse than I thought.

As I understand it, the Era speakers will work with Google Assistant, but will not use their microphone. My (would be) solution tot that is to use a Google Nest Mini. From this thread it seems these speakers, and so from now on all new Sonos speakers, will not work with GA at all? Can anyone confirm this?

As I stated before the move by Sonos away from GA is very unfortunate - for people who are invested in Nest stuff, but also for people in places where people speak a language that Alexa or SVC do not do, like my native language, Dutch. If my conclusion from this thread is right, the problem is worse than I thought.

Google Assistant/Home will still work with Sonos devices - you just cannot install the assistant on the newer Sonos products. You can still use SVC standalone on those speakers and use a nest mini in the room too (as you mention) - that still works.