Skip to main content

I have an Era 100 and an Audio-Technica Sound Burger (AT-SB727). I love them both separately, but not as much together…

The Sound Burger connected using the Sonos line-in adaptor. Even at the lowest 75ms setting, the audio delay is really annoying! Depending on what record I’m playing, there can be some ‘needle chatter’. The combination of this and the speaker delay can ruin the listening experience at lower volumes. I’m not too fussed by this when the music is at a higher volume, but I mostly like to have music playing in the background. 

I’ve previously owned a more traditional turntable/amp/speaker setup in the past, and this was never really that noticeable when the sound was synchronised. 

I understand that the delay is there as a buffer, allowing for optimal group playback. But an option to bypass this would be perfect, even at the expense of losing the group/multi-room functionality. With all of the marketing highlighting the Era series compatibility with turntables, you would think that this would have been taken into consideration.

Would connecting the Sound Burger using Bluetooth resolve this at all?

I know it’s such a little thing to complain about, but I’m sure that there are others out there thinking the same thing! 

As you say, the delay is fundamental to the way Sonos implements multiroom play. There have been many historical requests for a “single room no delay” setting, for Play:5, for example. Don’t expect it soon though, if ever.

Bluetooth won’t help. The delay will occur for any input. 

A traditional turntable would likely have had a dust cover that would reduce the chatter significantly. Personally, I would have trouble with this chatter, regardless of the SONOS latency. I’d need to keep the Sound Burger in another room or improvise a dust cover. Perhaps you could move the Sound Burger into a cabinet with a closed door.

@buzz I ended up purchasing a glass display cabinet from Ikea it has solved the issue. 

Good choice. This will also reduce dust. Playing a dusty record damages its surface.

Some turntable dust covers actually make the feedback to the tonearm worse.

The early Panasonic turntables I had said to remove the cover when listening at high volume, the high end ones didn’t even have that option, you had to remove them to play as they just sat on the base.

That did make dust a real pain, anti-static treatments, a piezo-gun and a fancy whole-room dust filter all helped.