Era 100’s and Static IP

• 2 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I have 7 Era 100s now. Originally I had 4 but upgraded the other 3 Sonos One speakers in attempt to resolve my issue. The seven speakers are configured as 3 stereo pairs and a single. My problem is that the system can be ok for days and then a speaker drops out suddenly. It can take hours to get it stable again. I suspect that it’s not a coincidence that the two speakers that drop out are the two furthest away from the router. Anyway, I read that it might help to have the speakers set to Static IP in the router. On inspection of the devices in my BT Hub setup I see that two of my 100s are already setup ‘reserved’ but I cannot change the setting of the other 5. I change the setting from No to YES and Save and when I look again It’s back to No. 

Cn anyone suggest why two of the 100s have configured themselves differently of the router compared to the other 5? Thanks for any input. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

I’m not a BT customer, but I came across this on their community forum…

The default IP scheme for the home hub is the addresses 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.63 are available to be used as static IP addresses on devices and are not part of the DHCP pool. The remaining addresses 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 are allocated by DHCP and can have address reservation applied. This schema can be modified to increase or decrease the DHCP pool if required.

So I’m guessing a similar setup is perhaps applying to your router, but with a slightly different DHCP pool allocation.

Thanks for that explanation Ken but on closer inspection the IP’s allocated are 

.164 .165 .183 .168 .202    Unable to switch ‘Always use this IP’ from No to Yes or change the IP address. 

.128 .191     Has already set ‘Always use this IP’ to YES. I didn’t do this, Sonos did or is doing it. These two speakers are a few months older than the other five.  

Thanks for that explanation Ken but on closer inspection the IP’s allocated are 

.164 .165 .183 .168 .202    Unable to switch ‘Always use this IP’ from No to Yes or change the IP address. 

.128 .191     Has already set ‘Always use this IP’ to YES. I didn’t do this, Sonos did or is doing it. These two speakers are a few months older than the other five.  

Ah that’s okay, but this is still more-likely an issue with your local network setup rather than Sonos, as it’s down to the local subnet DHCP reservation table, which is ‘usually’ held on the local router (I assume you are using just the one DHCP server only on the local network?)

Anyhow, it’s perhaps best to speak with your BT/ISP customer support.

In my own case I have given all my Sonos products reserved IP addresses via my local router settings and they are both new and older Sonos devices, including Era 100s and 300s and all are fixed, but Sonos devices have no part to play in the IP address assignment.

My thoughts are you are ‘perhaps’ operating more than one DHCP server on the BT network subnet. (That’s just my guess). So if you do have another router/managed switch/Hub etc. in the mix, then perhaps go onto check that ‘other’ device.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos does request an IP address from the DHCP server(s) on your network but the Sonos devices have no control over the IP address being static/reserved, that is completely under the router’s control.

Thanks all. I’ll head over to the BT forum to see if I can find out why two of my era 100’s have been assigned with permanent IPs and the other 5 haven’t.