Skip to main content
Answered

Era 100 Paired + SUB Mini - Delay in second Era 100 connecting

• 26 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hi SONOS Community,

Having been an avid SONOS fan and user for over a decade now I thought I better join the community!

My latest additions are a pair of SONOS Era 100’s with a SUB mini. I’m extremely impressed with the SUB mini in particular, I think we have all been waiting a long time for this to become a product.

Era 100’s also fantastic, but I have been experiencing sub par SONOS expected performance.

I’m intrigued with how they pair because I almost always experience an initial delay with the second paired speaker joining the party (not using bluetooth) . This can be anything from 30 seconds to 2 minutes, the SUB is also prone to the same delay. The speakers are 1.5 meters apart.

Now I also have 2 SONOS ONEs paired and I believe these are bonded using wifi and they perform as one, immediately and every time. This leads me to believe the Era’s are bonding over bluetooth. If I am right, IMO, this is a step backwards to the solid connectivity I’ve come to expect from SONOS.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Do you know how they bond when paired and is there anything we can do to improve this?

No, if they are paired, or even bonded, the signal is over WiFi, not Bluetooth. However, that’s a good indication of some sort of wifi interference or perhaps a duplicate IP address issue that your router is fighting through in order to get music to these devices. 

I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Thanks Bruce for responding & promptly! 

Ok that clears that up then, definitely wifi is being used in pairing.

I’ll be sending a diagnostics today and will update this thread with what I find as I’m sure I’m not alone with this (or maybe I am!).

Don’t forget to call, after you submit those diagnostics!

UPDATE : Spoke to lovely Sonos support and we were able to identify wifi issue. Thanks to Bruce also.

Seems much better since router reboot.

The biggest thing I have come to realise is that Era's do not use the SonosNet mesh network (powered by my Boost). My entire Sonos eco system has been flawless using SonosNet and now with Era on wifi starting to see instability.

Real shame Eras don't support this incredible stable network, maybe bring this back if possible Sonos?