Answered

Era 100 Line-In Question, Single Speaker Delay?

I am considering getting a Era 100 to connect to my computer via the new USB-C Line-In. Before anyone jumps on me that it’s not its intended use, they actually mention it on the Era 100 product page it says:

Line In

Unlock new listening possibilities

Connect a turntable, computer, or other audio source using an auxiliary cable and the Sonos Line-In Adapter.

I understand the required sync delay when grouping rooms or wireless stereo pairs, but I’m hoping it’s less than 75ms for a single Line-In device with the new Era’s.

I know most Sonos speakers there is a minimum 75ms delay introduced.  My question is, if you have a single Era 100 (not a wireless stereo pair, not grouped with any other rooms) connected via Line-In to a computer (or TV, or turntable) will you still get the 75ms delay, or is it lower?  Anyone with a single Era tested?  Since computer and turntable are being advertised as a feature of the Line-In and I know the delay was a discussed issue in the past using Sonos speakers with these devices, I was wondering if anything had been re-engineered for the ERA line since the Line-In is specifically advertising toward them now?

icon

Best answer by jgatie 12 April 2023, 16:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Aux out would be possible, yes. On the computer "microphone” seems an “in” to me, not an “out”. Not sure if a speaker connection would work. Sonos can reach out to your computer however, to play the music stored on it, se https://support.sonos.com/en/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos (max 65k songs) or use Plex.

Thank you

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

What about using the Era 100 or Era 300 with only a USB-C to USB-C cable from a USB-C port of a Mac, without the SONOS audio adapter. Should this work?

No

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In this thread the SONOS staff is not so sure.

See the answer in the other thread that you posted the same question in.