Answered

Era 100 cut power via remote wall outlet

• 19 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Hi all, 

To be more energy efficient I would like to use a remote wall outlet so I can cut the power with a Bluetooth remote.

Can this repeatedly damage the Sonos speaker?

There is no  is energy save option for this type of speaker.

cheers,

Denis

icon

Best answer by nik9669a 19 March 2024, 20:27

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Sonos devices drop to a low power state after a short period of inactivity. 
Electronic devices are prone to “stress” with repeated power cycles. 

Userlevel 7

Hi

To further explain Sonos products are not meant to be powered off (except for battery powered Roam and Move2 for prolonged periods of non use). As was stated Sonos equipment goes into a low power state after a period. Keeping them powered allows the app to find them quickly when you want to enjoy Sonos. If powered off they have to re-join your Sonos  system which is why you will see a flashing white light during the process. Also if you have automatic updates set powered off speakers will not receive them until they are powered on which again further delays them being ready to enjoy.

I’m not sure if the Era100 has such a low power state.
I can’t find any specs on the sonos website which states this option as well the standby consumption.

The reason why I’m looking into this is because in a 24 hrs cycle I only use the system for about 1 to 2 hours. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

https://s29.q4cdn.com/969873633/files/doc_downloads/2023/03/Sonos-Era-100-Product-Environmental-Report.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Less than 2W idle, 6W playback. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I was amused when I realized a smart switch a friend was contemplating used more power than his connected device once it dropped to an idle state. So what he accomplished was adding to the total power draw.

Saw the same here where my dumb Christmas light timer drew more power than the LED light string it was connected to. I used more power with it in place than just leaving the lights on. Less stress on the lights too.

I do switch off some of my Sonos, ones that go unused for weeks to months, but nothing that is used at least weekly. I use a dumb switch with zero power draw for that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I use a dumb switch with zero power draw for that.

A dumb switch is still as smart as its operator! 😜