Answered

Duplicate Room Names

• 27 November 2022
  • 7 replies

I’ve got several Sonos systems in my house and have used the products since they first came out so a big Sonos fan but have an issue that has me stumped. One of the systems consists of a 2 Play 1’s and a Sub (gen 2) that I was using with a Beam for the TV surround set up. I swapped out an old Bridge for one of the new Ports and got a new little sub to go with two Ones and all good but then I went to watch TV and the Play 1/Sub/Beam wasn’t working and in fact only played the Beam. 

After trying a few things with no luck, I decided to do a factory reset on the surround set up and start from scratch. I’ve tried it 4 or 5 times now (no luck but the same problem occurs every time) so figured it’s time to get some expert advice. 

The issue appears to be the Beam not being able to exist on the same network as the other devices. It creates a separate room (TV Room 2 instead of TV Room) every time I do a reset and walk through the different connection steps. I used the TV Room as an example but because I’ve tried it a few times, I’ve now got Den and Den1 and a few others! 

It’s probably easy to clean those up but any suggestions as to how to resolve this issue would be much appreciated! 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 29 November 2022, 17:48

View original

7 replies

Are you using any voice services, such as Alexa?

Although I don’t use any voice services, I remember seeing a message come up about Alexa being automatically configured. From memory, it was related to the Play 1’s. 

I think I know where this is headed but interested to hear your thoughts (and thankyou!) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

The sentence “I swapped out an old Bridge for one of the new Ports” makes no sense to me. The Port is the successor to the Connect, while the Bridge is succeeded by the Boost. Not sure if this is related to your problem, but could you clarify?

The sentence “I swapped out an old Bridge for one of the new Ports” makes no sense to me. The Port is the successor to the Connect, while the Bridge is succeeded by the Boost. Not sure if this is related to your problem, but could you clarify?

Yes, my bad. It was a long day! I don’t think it’s related but I replaced a Connect with a new Port. The Connect I had wasn’t compatible with the newer controller but the Port works really well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Peteinvicta1 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Only one of your Play:1s is currently bonded to your Beam, which is a problem. Please open the Sonos app and go to Settings » System » TV Room 2 » Remove Surrounds. If the app asks, choose to put the Play:1 in another room. It’s temporary.

Next, still in Settings » System » TV Room 2, choose Set up Surrounds. Choose the Play:1s and go through the process.

Once done, Settings » System » TV Room 2 » Room (TV Room 2) and at the top, you’ll be able to remove the “2” and the preceding space from the room name.

That should be it all done. If you’re unable to bond the Play:1s to the Beam, a reboot of the router (switch off for 30 seconds) and the Beam could help.

I hope this helps.

Hi Corry, 

I’d tried a few other things so the speakers weren’t named quite like I described but when I figured out how to remove the surround from the Beam, it was easy to complete the set up. 

I’ve got my home theater set up back so I’m happy… these speakers really do sound good. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Peteinvicta1 

That’s great - thanks for updating the thread!