Downgrading a Sonos 1 SL Series 2 to Series 1

• 3 February 2023
  • 5 replies

I need to know if what I was told by a Sonos support person is true before I blow up.  Is it true that if you downgrade a Sonos One SL Series 2 to Series 1 and then upgrade it back to Series 2, you cannot downgrade it again to Series 1?  

My brother asked me to help him add a series 2 speaker to his mixed series 1 and 2 system.  When atttempting to I fired up the Series 2 app to downgrade the speaker after reseting it to factory settings.  Green light flashing.  The Sonos app said “you have to uograde before continuing”. Hit the upgrade button and it upgraded all of his speakers possible to Series 2.  Well when trying downgrade them back and get this thing going, it would recognize the speakers as available to downgrade.  Support said “Oh, once you downgrade once you can’;t do it again.  I have made my brother’s system a mess if this is the case….  Thoughts?

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Based on the S2 Compatibility list it states the following for the One SL:

One SL can only be added to S2 systems. One SLs that are already part of an S1 system will continue to work as they do today.

Therefore, i’d say unfortunately that the One SL once upgraded to S2 cannot then be downgraded to S1

Thank you for your response. I can be a bit slow so bear with me.  To me that sentence is completely contradictory.  At first it says one SL cannot be added to S1 systems.  Followed by saying one SLs that are part of a S1 system will continue to work.  How can they continue to work in an S1 system if they can’t be added to an S1 system?   There is some further information missing there.   We used them with our S1 system for months.   So “One SL can only be added to S2 systems” is a completely false statement based on my actual experience.  

You say  “therefore I’d say…. How do you make the jump from that sentence to “therefore….   Not trying to criticize just trying to understand.  I don’t read anything in any Sonos documentation that says once you downgrade and then upgrade you can’t go back.  This is important because I will be making the case to Sonos that their lack of a warning made our system dysfunctional.   Unless of course that situation was explained somewhere.  

So what did I miss?

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Because One SL's could in the past be connected to S1 systems, but now they cannot be added to S1 anymore. Those that where in the past connected to S1 systems and where not upgraded still continue to work on S1.

You should write directions. You clearly bring to your reading of those sentences knowledge that is not clearly conveyed.  I would hire you to write directions.  Using your insight it would be better written…

“One SL's could in the past be connected to S1 systems, but they cannot be added to S1 anymore. Those that where in the past connected to S1 systems and where not upgraded still continue to work on S1.  Be aware If you do upgrade them the process cannot be reversed.”

Thanks for helping me see their intent.

It would be interesting to know why they changed that feature.

Thanks for responding guys…

Userlevel 7

It is curious why the One SL specifically has this limitation. I don’t know the reason why.

Good luck in your talks with Sonos about your experience here. Hope you can get a satisfactory outcome.