Answered

Does my speaker have Bluetooth or not?

• 21 July 2023
  • 9 replies

I have an older Sonos Play 3 speaker (like the one in the picture). I cannot find any information online to tell me if it should have Bluetooth or not. I recognise it is mainly a ‘me’ thing unable to find the answer….can anyone let me know how I find out?

icon

Best answer by Belly M 21 July 2023, 19:52

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +20

Simply NO is does not.

However, to add to that definitive answer ( and I have a couple of PLAY:3s myself), they can be grouped with a Sonos speaker that does have Bluetooth ( as I do frequently with my Sonos Roam) and play the same Bluetooth input. Important to note the Sonos Move can not share the Bluetooth input, though. 

Thanks both. I thought this was the case, but annoyingly tricky (for me) to find out the answer. Maybe someone else will try searching and see these replies :)

Sonos still seems to rate highly on the quality list and I would agree aside from some rather annoying app bugs (that may be due to my older speakers). 

I run S2 on my PLAY:3s, but haven’t noticed any app bugs. On the other hand, I don’t use every streaming service.

Often, ‘app bugs’ are issues with the network, or source. Can you be more specific about which ‘app bugs’ you see, and give us an opportunity either to agree, or help fix a misconception?

Three main bugs plague me…

1. Sonos keeps thinking my phone is on a different WiFi signal (just restarting Sonos fixes this)...I see the “Let’s fix this” option, but restarting fixes it faster than going through all the “Let’s fix this” choice. 
  2. If I am playing a track through Spotify on the Sonos app it won’t update the picture and song name unless I have the Sonos window on top (ie in view on my phone). Despite playing the new track it only refreshes sometimes after a variable time passes or not at all and then I need to close and restart the app. 
  3. Sometimes I will find a playlist on Spotify when searching through the Sonos app and it just won’t play, even though I have the option to ‘shuffle’.

I don’t have a Spotify subscription, but these issues are relatively new (ie this year). 
Userlevel 7

Your fist issue appears to the root cause of all your issues which is a network problem. What type of network do you have?

Indeed…could be indicative of an odd mesh configuration, or an issue with the router. My initial thought is a potential subnet issue…but that doesn’t explain 2, where the music plays, but the image doesn’t come through. Definitely a network issue of some type, though, not a ‘bug’ in Sonos’ software. 

One of the challenges is Spotify, which has had ongoing issues on their own servers, if you read this forum much. It could be attributed to Sonos, if it was affecting all streaming companies equally, but when it’s just one company….

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Do you have the same SSID for both your 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi links? If so change the 5 GHz one to something else and connect the phone to the 2.4 GHz one.

If that fixes things then you can go into the router and try to get the routing options set so either will work and rename the 5 GHz back to what it was.

Hey...I don’t use a mesh system...it’s just the router’s wifi on one frequency setting for both Sonos and phone. Both are connected to the 2.4 GHz. The Sonos is maybe 4m from the router with no solid walls in between. My phone and the Sonos are in the same room when the screen-refresh or pairing keep failing.

I’ve had these issues for quite some time (even when I lived overseas) and I suspect they may be linked to the S1 to S2 update. It doesn’t rule out network issues, but the problems have been there in two different houses with two completely different sets of hardware setups/layouts...more or less since the bridge was made defunct I think or possibly when the app version changed. That’s why I put the glitches down to the app changes and maybe firmware updates, but certainly it could be a PICNIC (Problem in Chair, Not In Computer) problem.