Skip to main content
Question

Dead Gen 2 Play 5

• 19 June 2024
  • 1 reply

I am sure I am going to get the same answer from what I have read, but has anyone had any luck at all with a dead Gen 2 Play 5? I have 2 of them and neither will factor reset at all. Completely useless now. I can’t get them to connect at all. Wired or not. They are just gone and won’t reset. Has anyone had any luck fixing this or gotten any support from Sonos aside from their BS refurbished replacement? 

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

First, ensure this isn’t an issue with the new app.  If you have verified it is a hardware issue, your best bet would be to request an RMA.  Be aware, trying to fix a broken Sonos unit yourself can take you down a rabbit hole.  Take this in only if you are experienced with repairing discrete electronics and think of this as a “fun project”.

Having said all that, if you feel adventurous, you could try repairing it yourself.  You will first need to trouble shoot what is wrong with the unit.  Do the Play 5’s they power on at all?  If the LED light is dead when you plug in the unit, the fuse may be blown.  Replacing the fuse is relatively easy, assuming of course you feel comfortable dismantling the speaker.  Here is a video showing a teardown and fuse replacement for a Play:5 gen 2:

Of course, before replacing the fuse look for any component in the power supply that looks discolored or burned.  To give you a sense of the steps needed to fix a power supply issue, take a look at this thread (it’s about the gen 1 but you’ll at least get a flavor)

If they do power on but are “dead” otherwise, I guess that’s going further down the rabbit hole 😀