Skip to main content
Answered

Constant Connection Drop Outs on the House Speaker Systems

• 18 February 2023
  • 2 replies

Hey there,

I’ve been using Sonos systems at my place for over 4 years now and love their music playback quality. But it’s riddled with constant random music drop outs that can totally spoil music listening sessions. Currently, a paired (IKEA bookshelf) Sonos Speaker set in the kitchen are malfunctioning and not even showing on the list of available speakers. I managed to get them to play the music by pressing/holding the play button on the speakers. 

While I have a feeling this will be ignored by the support staff or anyone that can do anything at Sonos’ end, I thought to still put it here. But thought to put it here. Please note that I had actually more Sonos speakers at my place and recently returned my Arc as it failed to produce a workable center channel/dialogue while watching media. I had to constantly play with the volume, bass, night mode and speech enhancement and it never really worked. Reverting back to an older Vizio 5.1 soundbar felt and worked so much better and I’ve given up on using Sonos for Big TV sound entirely now.

That said, the above issue I’m reporting is completely absurd as I’ve turned off and on the Bookshelf speakers (Kitchen) a few times with none still showing on the Sonos Mobile and Mac Apps.

Does anyone know what’s going on? Should I just give up and get rid of the entire Sonos system?

Below is a screenshot of what’s happening:

Kitchen (IKEA Bookshelf) Speakers are showing on Spotify app but missing on the Sonos own app

What steps have you taken to try to resolve the problem? Have you looked on these forums to see how these problems have been solved for other users?

Hi @silverorange 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

The fact that the missing speakers can still play online sources strongly suggests that the issue is with the communications between devices on your network, namely the speakers and the device running the app. The fact that the Spotify app (which connects via the cloud) can see the speakers when the Sonos app (which connects locally) cannot supports this. 

You can certainly try rebooting your router by switching it off for at least 30 seconds. Reserving IP addresses in your router’s settings for your Sonos devices may resolve this long term. There could be other possibilities that can only be guessed at without a description of your network topology.

As for interruptions in play, this is usually caused by wireless interference. I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.