Answered

Connection to other rooms lost when using line-in at Play5

• 9 December 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

I am operating a Sonos S1 system with 10 speakers in 8 rooms. The music plays in party mode (i.e., all rooms connected). Everything works fine. I now added a turntable through the line-in of a Play5 (gen 1). Mostly, this works fine. However, often the sync between the rooms breaks down and the music only play on the two speakers and a bass booster that are connected to one pair in the room, in which the turntable is connected to one of the speaker. After a while, the other rooms pick up the music signal, but then loose it again.

I wonder whether it is too much bandwidth for the Play5 to simultaneously SEND a signal from the turntable to the system and to RECEIVE a signal from the system. Would the set-up be more stable if I were to purchase a Sonos Port and feed the turntable signal into the system with it (obviously, I would prefer not having to do that, as it involves extra cost)? Is there a way to stabilize my system so that playing music coming from a turntable in multi-room mode is better achieved?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by John B 9 December 2022, 20:57

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7

In the Sonos app, set Audio Compression to Compressed. Under the Line-In settings for the Play:5, set the Audio Delay setting to Max.

Badge

Thanks, GuitarSuperstar! However, those are already my setting.

Userlevel 7

Are you able to wire any of your speakers directly to your router with an ethernet cable?

If you don't yet have a wired device I would certainly recommend trying that.

Two things that will affect the reliability of the play from the line in:

1. The quality of the signal to the device 

2. Whether or not the group is built starting from the line in speaker. All things being equal, it is best to start the group from  the line in speaker. 

Badge

Many thanks to both GuitarSuperstar and John B for making suggestions. What solved my problem in the end was John B.’s suggestion #2 to built the speaker group by starting with the speaker to which the turntable is connected to via line-in. Now my system is stable and I don’t experience any loss of connections any more.